What is the supposed/simplest way to try simple change to an addon source code

I have Home Assistant running on Raspberry Pi 4, installed using recommended method via Home Assistant OS. I am using zigbee2mqtt for my Zigbee network.
Now I bought a new thermostatic valve and it is not supported out of the box but it seems that all that is needed is to add its product id to one file in zigbee2mqtt. What is the simplest way to try it?
I know I could probably fork the zigbee2mqtt addon on github, change the configuration of the addon to use different docker image, create the modified docker image, publish it into some repository and then add this temporary addon repository to my HA instance… It seems a little too much overkill for adding one line to a file…
I have to admit that even though I have 25 years of Linux experience it took me cca 4 hours to find a way how to do that…
I did modify the zigbee2mqtt docker image to have the line added relatively simply, the only problem was to access the docker command as I do not have ssh access to the bare metal.
Then I tried to convince HA to use mine image instead of the official one but even after I managed to modify the addons.json (which was a pain in the rear to get to) HA did overwrite my changes all the time. I finally did succeed by “renaming” it via docker tag so it did have the same name as the official image. I have to say that I do consider it a very suboptimal solution but …

1 Like