What needed to connect to dumb receiver/speaker?

I have old onkyo tx-sr500 receiver, Onkyo SKW-100 subwoofer with 4 Onkyo speakers, what needed in order to connect it to HASS?

One possibility is a Harmony hub so you can control the Onkyo, and then use one of the Onkyo inputs for some HA supported media player that has audio out. An Echo Dot maybe.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I think echo dot doesn’t allow local music, so this setup won’t allow me to play local music files, right?

I have an old Onkyo TX-SR600 (i think it is…) which I control with a Broadlink RM3mini and a power monitoring smart plug. The RM3mini sends it IR signals and the smart plug allows HA to know if its on or off based on power consumption. It works perfectly. I use this to create a media_player entity for it.

For music I have a Chromecast Audio plugged into one of the inputs. HA automatically turn on the amp and selects the correct input whenever I stream to the Chromecast. It turns off the amp when streaming is stopped as long as I haven’t subsequently turned on the TV, since that would suggest I am stopping music to watch TV. So instead HA then sends the amp a signal to switch to the TV input. You can stream local music to Chromecasts

1 Like

My answer would have been different if you’d said that from the beginning :slight_smile: Using hass to play local mp3s is a pretty niche application. I use iTunes and the iTunes component for that but it has a some minor limitations. Most people stream their music.

1 Like

Use chromecast seems to be a good option. How do you switch input of the receiver from HASS?

Via the IR blaster

1 Like

I had this receiver (ONKYO TX-SR500) but lost the RC, do any of you by any chance have the list of the IR commands? power, source and volume will be appreciated! thanks!

Here is what I have for my Onkyo. It’s a different model but hopefully the codes will be the same.

{
    "manufacturer": "Onkyo",
    "supportedModels": [
      "Unknown"
    ],
    "supportedController": "Broadlink",
    "commandsEncoding": "Base64",
    "commands": {
        "off": "JgBIAAABKJEUERQ2FBAUERQ2FBAUNhQ2FBAUERQ2FDUUERQ2FDYUEBQ2FDYUNRQRFBEUEBQ2FBEUEBQRFBAUNhQ2FDYUEBQ2FAANBQ==",
        "on": "JgBMAAYABD8AASiSFBEUNRQRFBEUNRQRFDYUNRU1FBEUNhQ1FBEUNhQ1FBEUERQQFDYUERQQFBEUEBQRFDYUNRQRFDYUNRU1FDYUNhQADQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=",
        "previousChannel": "JgBIAAABKJIUEBQ2FBEUEBQ2FBETNhQ2FDYUEBQ2FDYUEBQ2FDYUERQ1FBEUERMRFBEUEBQRFBETERQ2FDYUNRQ2FDYUNhQ1FAANBQ==",
        "nextChannel": "JgBIAAABKJEVEBQ1FRAUERQ1FBEUNhQ1FTUUERQ2FDUUERQ2FDUUERQRFBAUERQRExEUERQQFBEUNhQ1FDYUNhQ2FDUUNhQ2FAANBQ==",
        "volumeDown": "JgBQAAkADMILAAzsAAEqkRQRFDYUEBQRFDYUEBQ2FDYUNRQRFDYUNhMRFDYUNhQQFDYUNhQQFBEUERQQFBEUEBQRFBEUNRQ2FDYUNhQ1FDYUAA0FAAAAAAAAAAA=",
        "volumeUp": "JgBIAAABKIwaERM2FBEUERM2FBEUNhM2FDYUERM2FDYUERQ1FDYUERQQFDYUERQQFBEUERMRFBEUNhMRFDYUNhM2FDYUNhQ2EwANBQ==",
        "mute": "JgBIAAABKJIUEBQ2FBEUEBQ2FBETNhQ2FDYUEBQ2FDYUERM2FDYUERQ1FBEUNhQQFBEUERMRFBEUEBQ2FBEUNRQ2FDYUNhQ1FAANBQ==",
        "sources": {
            "ChromeCast Audio": "JgBQAAABKJIUEBQ2FBEUEBQ2FBETNhQ2FDYUERM2FDYUERM2FDYUERM2FBEUERM2FBEUERMRFBEUEBQ2FDYUERM2FDYUNhQ2EwAE8gABKEkTAA0FAAAAAAAAAAA=",
            "Video 1": "JgBIAAABKJEUERM2FBEUERM2FBEUNhM2FDYUERQ1FDYUERQ2EzYUERQ2EzYUNhQ2FBETERQRExEUERQRExEUERQ1FDYUNhQ2EwANBQ==",
            "Tuner": "JgBIAAABKJEUERQ1FBEUERQ1FBEUNhQ1FDYUERQ2EzYUERQ2FDUUERQ2FDUUERQ2FBETERQRFBAUERQREzYUERQ2EzYUNhQ2FAANBQ==",
            "DVD": "JgBQAAABJpMVEBQ2ExITERQ2ExESOBM3ExIRExM3EjgTERM3EjgSEhMSEhITNxM3FBETERITETkSNxQ2EhMTERQ2EjgTNhMSEgAFGQABJkoUAA0FAAAAAAAAAAA=",
            "Phono": "JgBIAAABJpQSEhM3ERQRExI4EhITNxI4EjgSEhI4EjgSEhM3EzcSEhMSEjgSEhI4FBETERMSEhMSNxMSEjgTERM3EjgSNxM3EwANBQ=="
        }
    }
}

The ‘chromecast audio’ input is actually the ‘CD’ input on the amp.