What skills and components do I need to learn about to create this alarm/screen project

Hi, I still call myself a newbie, it’s been about 3 months. And so much info to learn. So here’s what I’m trying to do, and if you could tell me where to start looking, what I need to purchase, what I need to download and learn about to do this.

For context, I have HAOS on an Intel NUC using the most up-to-date version of everything. I have a Zigbee and Zwave coordinator in my powered USB hub. Here’s what I want to do:

Install a touch screen, tablet or otherwise, color, by my condo front door, I have 120v nearby and can do the wiring easily. Perhaps motion to turn it on???

I have 3 doors to the outside. I have the Aqara door sensors on all 3. I want to have the touch screen be an alarm panel, with proper codes, bypass, home, away functionality etc.

On that same screen, I want to be able to swipe to get to screen two, for example, to check the lights are all off, or check my outside camera on screen 3.

I will need the software for the alarm, but also to alert me on my Android phone if there is open detection and software to build a dashboard.

Finally, I need a small siren to either speak or beep when a contact is opened, but I should be able to turn that off or on when home, obviously on when armed away.

Anything else???

Thank you

The software is already available in many versions, so it is really just getting the hardware and making sure that it is compatible with HA, which leave a lot of choices to choose from. :wink:
I would suggest a cheap android tablet and a noname one might often be better, because it is running vanilla android.

An Android tablet running Fully Kiosk browser will do this.

You might have a look at Manual Alarm Control Panel.

There’s a HACS integration Home Assistant Swipe Navigation which allows you to swipe between views.

If Manual Alarm Control Panel meets your requirements, you can do this in HA - playing a sound through your loudspeakers/voice assistants and sending a notification to your phone. It won’t meet insurance companies’ requirements, though.

Worth having a play to see what the possibilities are before you spend a lot of money.

There’s also an integration called Alarmo that offers the alarm controls and acts as a security system head unit replacement.

1 Like

An afterthought:

If you’re going to get an Android tablet, it might be worth looking for one with a SIM card slot. This would make it possible to send SMS notifications to non-HA users (neighbours, for example). It also makes it possible to send SMS notifications when HA is out of action - in a power cut, for example, or when wifi is down. I use the Llamalab app Automate for this, but I believe there are several others.

You’re right, Alarmo looks much better. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Does alarmo have a preferred keypad or will a tablet device work?

It presents an ‘alarm’ domain interface which can be used by any Lovelace card that can present it. (read: it’s what makes a tablet viable)

I don’t use Alarmo itself as I have a hardware alarm. But the UI onnthe tablet is the same.

1 Like

Just had a look at Alarmo too and this is indeed what @harryfine might need without having to reinvent the wheel.

Looks perfect. Thank you.