What smart valves to use with HASS

Hi,

The heating in my house is controlled using TRVs only(no thermostat no nothing) and I would like to replace them with some smarter ones that can integrate with HASS.

Which ones have the best integration with HA?

I have looked at some zwave ones(but I’m not sure they are so responsive and they are also expensive) and to some eQ-3 MAX! for which I’m not convinced there is any integration.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

I’ve been using StellaZ TRVs for the past couple of years. We have 11 of them online.
With Domoticz and OpenHAB they worked very well so I’m satisfied with the device itself.
When configured with a 10min sleep period and fairly new radiators batteries would last around 3 months.

With HA they were working well around version 0.23 but are currently broken following the switch to the climate component (along with a number of other ZWave changes).

Following the switch from Temperature to Mode as the primary state they would appear but setting them didn’t work any more.

I would expect all ZWave TRVs to show similar behaviour since I don’t think there’s anything unusual about how they present themselves in OZWave.

ZWave is support (especially for climate devices) is maturing fast though so I’d expect these issues to be ironed out fairly quickly.

I have bought 2 eQ-3 BLE devices, but not integrated them yet in HASS.

I realized my house is longer than 20 meters so the RPi with a BLE dongle will not allow connecting to both TRVs if put on the radiators on the opposite walls.

I wonder if I can use 2 RPi with HASS in a master-slave configuration.

Otherwise, I’m happy with the TRVs and the phone app.

Have you been able to find any?

I have been searching all over the internet, and i have found a lot of different valves. But non which convinced me.

I don’t really care if they are integrated with HA, I just need to make sure that I can control them from a Raspberry pi, then I’ll make the component myself if needed.

I have 2 Energenie trvs that I control with their two way pi-mote and my own mqtt driver.

Once the valves are set up, and stop sticking, the system works very well.

Can I control those TRVs with other 433 MHz controllers like TellStick? I am on NUC som their RPi module is useless in my case. Or are there any other way to control them with hass.io?

Thank you.

The TRVs use their own two-way protocol, so its unlikely that a normal 433Mhz controller would be able to do it.

hassio doesn’t allow you to run your own binaries on the system so you couldn’t run my project directly on that machine. However as my driver uses mqtt, you could run it on another pi if you bought the pi-mote.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any support for the Energenie gateway in HA.

I’m watching these very closely:

they do a battery-less version which uses thermal reclamation! now that is smart…

I had Fibaro ones, but it didn’r work properly… They show always 0°C and I was not able to pair their BT temperature sensor… I send it back and ordered Homematic one. I hope it will works better.

The Novo ones looks interesting, thats for sure… but its Kickstarter… I was already burn once on Indiegogo so I am not a big fun of this kind of products…

@markferry do you already got your Stella Z working properly?

Sure. Twelve of them running for over a year now.

Happy other than two issues:

• poor battery life on sticky radiator valves
  • they lose their wakeup setting when they completely lose power
    (workaround after changing batteries is to resend a wakeup interval, you can do this in the HA ZWave config panel)

Just started trial of the new Eurotronic Spirit.

@markferry Thanks for your reply.

I can’t set any setpoint on them. Got them running for a few years on my VERA but on the Hass.io it only reads temperatures. Can you tell me more about your integration?

I also ordere the Spirit for some tresting

So you don’t get a climate device?
It’s possible your ozwcfg is old.

My integration is here but it’s a little out of date. I’ve now removed the zwave config_path property.
The zwave component uses the current python-openzwave device database by default.

As for how the actual TRVs are recognized, see my zwcfg.xml. There are a bunch of StellaZ nodes in there.