What Tuya platforms are there? is there one for Brilliant?

I finally got to test it - no it doesn’t control the USB port; that port always has power, no matter if the switch is on or off.

Thanks for sharing this.

I can confirm that these work perfectly with TuyaConvert, Tasmota and the settings @sparkydave has posted above. Heading back to Bunnings tomorrow to purchase as many of these as I can afford and stash them away.

Very rare to find something like this, at this price point in Aus. :+1:

Those plugs seem like a neat locally sourced and approved alternative to the Xiaomi ones I’ve used so far.

I wonder if anyone had the chance to measure actual power consumption of them in on and off mode?

If no one has done that yet I might have to get one to measure myself.

Just for reference: the Xiaomi Wifi plug uses 0.73W in ‘off’ and 1.31W in ‘on’. The Xiaomi Zigbee plug uses 0.42W in ‘off’ and 0.73W in ‘on’.

I just saw these in Officeworks for $20 so I grabbed one to see how it would go. I was pleasantly surprised when it worked with no tweaking.

I already have the Tuya app so I thought I would try that first and it detected the plug no problem. I then used the tuya.pull_devices service in HA and once again it worked! A new entity in the format switch.longnumber has appeared.

My configuration.yaml is

tuya:
  username: xxxx
  password: xxxx
  country_code: 61
  platform: tuya

Now if I could only get it to work with the Aldi Medion switch… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I’ve flashed two of the Brilliant Smart Plugs from Bunnings with ESPhome as well now. I took a good photo of the WiFi PCB while at it, because there are spare pads there that might be OK for sensors (like DS18B20 etc). I personally used the hardwire serial method, as I could do that much faster than setting up the tool chain for the OTA method. The USB port is connected to the ESP modules 3.3V regulator input, so the unit can be power up from a USB power bank or PC for flashing.

2 Likes

I’ve done the same to one of these, and the Aldi Medion ones that were on sale a few weeks ago.

I found that the OTA method didn’t work, so I suspect they include the security patch from Tuya to prevent it.

Are the other GPIOs ok to use if connected to mains voltage?

Just an FYI for others thinking of buying these. They work as discussed in this thread without any modification but in my experience they have a pretty decent lag to turn on and off. My TPLINK HS100 and Wemo switches work fine but this one is laggy. Works but if that will bother you then maybe consider something else.

thanks a lot for sharing this. I got all 3 of my brilliant plugs flashed to Tasmota and connected to Hass.io.

as for the wifi hotspot not appearing, its more to do with the wifi card vs. the OS. I am running Kubuntu 19.04 and my internal wifi was not recognized as supporting AP mode.

fortunately I had the below TP-Link adapter from an earlier experiment and it worked flawlessly.

I added a template for Brilliant Smart Wifi A60 globe White 20890 bought from Officeworks in AU. See blog post for end to end instructions and info.

2 Likes

OMG… super, thanks, worked flawlessy

1 Like

Anyone know the config for the energy monitoring version of the smart plug https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/brilliant-lighting-smart-wifi-plug-with-energy-monitoring-bl20925#specifications

Edit; Sorry didn’t look hard enough https://templates.blakadder.com/brilliant_BL20925.html

Mate made an account just to say thanks for this, saved me a ton of wasted cash.
i have a few of these.
They were even connected to the brilliant app, fully updated, etc.
I was able to kick each of them off the app (factory reset) and pair them straight into the tuya app using the manual add function (the smart function would not work).
Used your config.yaml and instantly imported into HASS

NP. However that config is now out of date. It should now work with the Tuya integration with no need for anything in configuration.yaml. Also the Arlec grid connect ones from Bunnings will work out of the box with Tuya. No need to bother with the Arlec app.

As for my comment about the Medion plug I found it can be flashed with ESPHome OTA using tuya-convert.

Hi guys,

I have these lights but I’m struggling to find a way to open the wifi module, it’s all been sealed shut with no screws at all

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brilliant-corymbia-smart-wifi-diy-colour-led-garden-light-kit-6-pack_p0145085

How did you guys manage to flash it?

Back in the day we could use Tuya-Convert (which I used to install ESPhome firmware) but I’d imagine if you bought them recently that won’t work. The back plastic cover can be popped off the wifi unit but it only lets you see the solid black potting compound that they filled it with. I’m actually thinking of modifying one of mine which I accidentally bricked by using an ESP and a signal booster.

Yeah luckily i was around in those good old days. Flashed many devices but got lazy and left some out and thought I’d flash them later.

3 yrs later and I forgot how to do it and wanted to flash this one.

To my surprise, when I tried to turn it on it wasn’t working. Bloody hell.

So now I can even go get the replacement wifi module because it would have the new chip

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

As I mentioned just above, I’m looking to make a new controller using an ESP and one of these. I’ll just put them in a weatherproof enclosure.

Yeah that sounds good. I’ll look into it.
Probably after you’ve done yours so I can copy what you did lol

I just got thinking about your comment.

I’m actually having signal range problems with my sonoff SV cold contact controllers for my gate and garage door

Is there a way I can boost their wifi signal?
Looked online but there doesn’t seem to be a clear cut way to solder an external antenna on micro controllers unless you buy something with an antenna port?

Or perhaps I should consider buying a Zigbee dry contact relay that I found out yesterday that they exist :slight_smile:

What would you recommend mate?

Tom created a little tutorial for doing this, I haven’t tried it.

1 Like