What Tuya platforms are there? is there one for Brilliant?

I found a “Brilliant” smart switch at my local Bunnings (Australian Home Depot), which is just a rebranded Tuya switch.
I’ve installed the Tuya component, but I get an error when I restart, with the error message

tuyapy.tuyaapi.TuyaAPIException: Get accesstoken failed. Username or password error!

By searching on the forum I found that this is typically caused by a missing ‘platform’ statement. I have tried various options here, including ‘tuya’, ‘smart_life’, ‘jinvoo_smart’, none of which worked.
Then I got creative and tried ‘brilliant’ and ‘brilliant_smart’ - but alas, no luck either.
(the brand is “Brilliant”, in google assistant it’s called ‘Brilliant Smart’, so that’s why I guessed that as an option).
Any other suggestions on what platform I should use?

2 Likes

I decided to go a different route and used Tuya-convert to flash these OTA, it now runs Tasmota which enables me to integrate it just through MQTT, instead of using the Tuya component.

Is this one ?

Do you know if It has control over the USB port ?

1 Like

Would you mind sharing the process for the Tasmota conversion for the rest of us Aussies? That’s a good price for a smart switch that has AU certification. (pity they don’t have power monitoring, buts you wont get it at that price)

EDIT: nevermind, Google is my friend :slight_smile:

yep that’s the one.
edit: forgot to answer your other question: I haven’t tested it yet, but I don’t think it does control the USB port. I’ll try to test that tonight when I get home.

for those that don’t want to google :slight_smile: :

i followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5GYh470m5k&t=646s
that refers to this page with the general instructions: https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert
In there, there is an ‘issue’ talking specifically about these plugs, with the exact settings you need: https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/issues/66

One point of warning: I tried it on a Ubuntu machine and on a new Debian VM and wasn’t able to make it work (the wifi hotspot didn’t appear). I then tried it on a Raspberry PI (as per the instructions…) and it worked right away… i should have followed those instructions to start with I guess…

3 Likes

You should add it to the list of compatible devices:

When you configured tasmota did you use one of the preconfigured modules? If so which one ? or you had to use generic module?

Pasting the settings here in case they become hard to find once the ‘issue’ is closed on the Git page.

Thanks for the links etc. @DDK Good work!

3 Likes

Thanks, but the only thing I did was googling one day earlier than you! :wink:
The guys who put this on Git and figured it all out did the real work…
And shoutout to the u/ComfyFoodFat on reddit who pointed me to these devices in the first place!

see below from sparkydave

1 Like

I finally got to test it - no it doesn’t control the USB port; that port always has power, no matter if the switch is on or off.

Thanks for sharing this.

I can confirm that these work perfectly with TuyaConvert, Tasmota and the settings @sparkydave has posted above. Heading back to Bunnings tomorrow to purchase as many of these as I can afford and stash them away.

Very rare to find something like this, at this price point in Aus. :+1:

Those plugs seem like a neat locally sourced and approved alternative to the Xiaomi ones I’ve used so far.

I wonder if anyone had the chance to measure actual power consumption of them in on and off mode?

If no one has done that yet I might have to get one to measure myself.

Just for reference: the Xiaomi Wifi plug uses 0.73W in ‘off’ and 1.31W in ‘on’. The Xiaomi Zigbee plug uses 0.42W in ‘off’ and 0.73W in ‘on’.

I just saw these in Officeworks for $20 so I grabbed one to see how it would go. I was pleasantly surprised when it worked with no tweaking.

I already have the Tuya app so I thought I would try that first and it detected the plug no problem. I then used the tuya.pull_devices service in HA and once again it worked! A new entity in the format switch.longnumber has appeared.

My configuration.yaml is

tuya:
  username: xxxx
  password: xxxx
  country_code: 61
  platform: tuya

Now if I could only get it to work with the Aldi Medion switch… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I’ve flashed two of the Brilliant Smart Plugs from Bunnings with ESPhome as well now. I took a good photo of the WiFi PCB while at it, because there are spare pads there that might be OK for sensors (like DS18B20 etc). I personally used the hardwire serial method, as I could do that much faster than setting up the tool chain for the OTA method. The USB port is connected to the ESP modules 3.3V regulator input, so the unit can be power up from a USB power bank or PC for flashing.

2 Likes

I’ve done the same to one of these, and the Aldi Medion ones that were on sale a few weeks ago.

I found that the OTA method didn’t work, so I suspect they include the security patch from Tuya to prevent it.

Are the other GPIOs ok to use if connected to mains voltage?

Just an FYI for others thinking of buying these. They work as discussed in this thread without any modification but in my experience they have a pretty decent lag to turn on and off. My TPLINK HS100 and Wemo switches work fine but this one is laggy. Works but if that will bother you then maybe consider something else.

thanks a lot for sharing this. I got all 3 of my brilliant plugs flashed to Tasmota and connected to Hass.io.

as for the wifi hotspot not appearing, its more to do with the wifi card vs. the OS. I am running Kubuntu 19.04 and my internal wifi was not recognized as supporting AP mode.

fortunately I had the below TP-Link adapter from an earlier experiment and it worked flawlessly.

I added a template for Brilliant Smart Wifi A60 globe White 20890 bought from Officeworks in AU. See blog post for end to end instructions and info.

2 Likes