What's better? VM or supervised (for a laptop)

Hello, I would like to know what’s better, faster, more efficient on a regular laptop:

1- To run home assistant supervised (on Debían 10)?
2- To download a virtual machine (choose any OS) and install an image?

I know that installing HA supervised can be tricky and hard for non-advanced user, but beyond installation and purely based on performance…

What would be better?

Are you talking about using something like proxmox? Or are you talking about installing an OS and using something like virtualbox?

I’d go debian plus supervised myself.

Not true.

Following the community guide it’s easy.

Ha supervised:
Os=>Docker=>HA

Virtual machine in a regular os:
Os=>Virtualization software=>os=>docker=>ha

There’s a lot of added complexity and overhead on the second option.

2 Likes

VM (eg Proxmox, VMWare ESXi, etc) and an image.

A lot of people will push the Supervised installer as an option, but it has this warning for a reason:

This method is considered advanced and should only be used if one is an expert in managing a Linux operating system, Docker and networking.

So, if you have to ask, don’t run Supervised :wink:

Also, the overhead of a VM platform is pretty minimal. You’re unlikely to notice, or care, if you run on something better than a Pi :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have to say that installing HA supervised was easy for me, it’s just that some people really think that.

I made the question because right now I have HA supervised, but I would like if it’s better to install a VM…

HA supervised was about to be deprecated, and since there I feel like the creators really want to get rid of it.

Maybe there are some advantage on a VM, I don’t know since I have never use one.

The only advantage afforded by vm is the ability to make a backup of the whole VM.
Performance wise there will be some degrade compared to ha supervised. Also, more layers of software to keep up to date etc.
Supervised is no longer deprecated, the Devs saw hope many of us use it and decided to keep it going. Albeit only supporting one underlying os, debian

And in one very specific configuration - which almost nobody follows.

1 Like

Mainly just the point of not running ANY other software.
Kind of defeats the purpose of supervised.
If hassos wasn’t so locked down I’d probably use it.
I don’t think it was even possible to install it on my machine, a standard ex windows pc, not an nuc.
I tried the nuc image but it doesn’t work, so I had to go supervised.

Proxmox + hassos would work.

I just went for Debian.
I was just surprised not to see a hassos image for what you’d expect to be the most popular platform. Everyone has an old pc or laptop laying around

it is not difficult…if you can copy and paste. Just follow:

Remove the hard drive from the laptop, use a SATA to USB Adapter Cable to flash the NUC Image to the drive using balenaEtcher. Reinstall the drive in the laptop, boot, enjoy.

That doesn’t work, it just hangs on boot. I gave up and happily went supervised.

why, just use docker… you’ll need few other supporting services, mqtt etc
docker-compose can take care of those
very easy to maintain

It depends on the laptop, it didn’t work on mine, that’s why I started with HA supervised

1 Like

The Hassos NUC image has very specific drivers for the NUC computers. Random laptop is unlikely to have identical hardware to a NUC.

2 Likes

The intel-nuc machine works for most x86-64 machines today, but has a
rather specific name still. Let’s start a new machine generic-x86-64 which
will replace intel-nuc over time.

A NUC basically is a laptop, but without a keyboard, trackpad, and display. They use laptop components and an external power supply just like a laptop.

But not every laptop has intel components.

1 Like

I can see you are trying to say that I can just use the NUC image on my laptop… I just dont know how.
I’m trying again right now, but It doesn’t boot. I have done everything (SSD with USB adapter cable, flashing with Balena-Etcher the NUC image…) but I can’t make it work.

What should I do? somehow install the laptop drivers inside the NUC image? I have 2 laptops to with i3 and i5 intel processors, I’m going to try on both.

It would be perfect to use an image on a laptop, just like they do on a Raspberry.