What's the right way to move to a new iPhone?

I have a new iPhone, and I’m in the process of manually setting it up. (Because reasons.)

What’s the right way to install and configure the iOS app (and Home Assistant if needed), such that Home Assistant “swaps in” the new phone, and stops paying attention to the old phone?

Note: I’ve renamed my old phone to a different device name in iOS > Settings > General > About > Name. (Think “My iPhone (old)”, or whatever.)

And I’ve named the new iPhone with the old (One True) name. (All of my phones get the same name, when it’s their time in the sun. Old phones get renamed.)

Did you ever come up with a good solution for this?

I did not. I ended up having to re-name or re-add the new device / entities multiple times. I’m still not sure I’ve got them all correct, across all the different device trackers.

I can envision a “Retire and Replace this Device” command, or something like that, to take care of the drudgery. But I fully admit my situation is an edge case, and I’m not personally going to bother submitting an actual feature request.

When I upgraded my iPhone, I deleted the existing integrations, performed the beta clean as a precaution, then installed the new phone integration (with the same name as the old one).

That sounds like what I should have done, for sure. I logged into the app / HA on the new phone before deleting the old one, and that was where I (probably) went wrong…