What's your favourite ESP32 board? (# Best, good, cheap, quality, reliable)

Andreas covers the TinyPICO here too.

1 Like

Good points. I’m not interesting in the relay, would rather have a board without it. While you end up with an additional circuit board is pretty much any use of this, having pretty much all the esp32 pins exposed give considerable flexibility.

As long as you are following me down this rabbit hold :wink: here are a couple more esp32 products/companies that I have found interesting and available :

DC 5V 16 Channel Wireless WIFI Module IoT ESP32 Relay Driver Remote Controller

KinCony PRODUCTS Category “ESP32 HOME AUTOMATION”

I only use D1 Mini’s. My projects are running 24/7 so I need them to be stable. D1 Mini’s are really stable, they keep on running Wifi without needing to reset them ever. I buy them at a local distributor Hackerstore. Lolin (Wemos) D1 Mini

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I agree that genuine d1 minis are great, but they are not esp32 wjich this topic is about.

I can recommend the LILYGO® TTGO T7 V1.5 Mini32 40 now.

It’s been solid.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the S2 Mini V1.0.0? The TinyPico looks nice but it’s out of stock and not sure how quick the shipping from Oz is to the UK.

1 Like

How are you using yours? I’m looking for a small board for WLED and this one looks nice too. Has 5v input unlike the S2 mini.

Looks a lot like the D1 Mini ESP32, which have been working fine for me (I use a few around the house, never had issues with them).

Clones of this board are the specific reason this topic was created. They tend to use under sized voltage regulators and shitty filter caps.

The S2 board Morphy linked to actually has open source hardware and appears to be a good design (500mA regulator).

I cant find any info on the regulator in the board you linked to.

4 Likes

I’m using it to build a new control panel for my standing desk.

That’s basically a UART receiver, some gpio switches, then a bunch of other things I’ve tacked on like 2 X small screens, 2 X LEDs, buzzer, lux sensor, ToF sensor.

I believe these are tried and tested for your application.

1 Like

I’m a bit baffled why most of the newer Lolin designs seem to be skipping the 5v pins?

I use them pretty frequently.

LOLIN Official Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt6TGHu

VBUS is the 5V pin.

1 Like

I have just ordered a couple of the new Seeed Studio Xaio ESP32-C3 boards to have a play with.

It seems to a nice small footprint with 0.1" pin spacing and has an external antenna which I think I’ll need for a future sensor.

3 Likes

Oh I see. Thanks.

I’ve bought a few S2’s out of interest.

Keen to hear any feedback on it. Cheers.

The new Seeeds are indeed very sexy. Please give some feedback here on how they perform.

Could be a while, they are not expected to ship until mid August.

(sorry guys) i started studing esphome to use with home assistant but… the esp32 world is very confusing with tons of socs/boards.

just a question… have i to buy exactly this board NodeMCU ESP32 — ESPHome or is it sufficient anyone with this soc?!

thanks

I would just pick one recommended on this thread!

3 Likes

@Burner66 @Mahko_Mahko : thanks both. after your answer i found an offer on amazon for the nodemcu V4 board at 7€, a little more than aliexpress undisclosed boards… while practicing homeassistant/esphome i discovered that there is a list of “compatible” boards to choose from while updating firmware, i think this should be put in evidence… btw, happy endings