When is water feature (pond, stream) low on water?

We have a water feature at our house, which is a small pond/basin about 5-10 feet below a small pond at the top. A water pump pushes water up a hose to the top pond which overfills and streams down to the bottom pond making a nice water stream that the birds and my wife and I enjoy.

Due to evaporation, the water gets low and eventually empties.

I’d like to put a water sensor (or two or three as this person suggests: ( Water Tank High, Half, Low! Multiple binary sensors one template sensor issues ) ) in the lower pond so I know when the water is low so I can refill it.

Can anyone suggest or recommend a batter powered water sensor that I can submerge in water? I’m okay with about any technology, zigbee, zwave, ring, etc.

Thank you very much for your kind suggestions.

I diyed a water level sensor using an Aqara door sensor that runs on zigbee. I did a short write up in the forum on how it works.

I just stumbled upon this old thread and couldn’t resist chiming in. Your water feature sounds awesome! So, about your question: if your water feature is running low on water, it could be due to evaporation, water splashing out, or even a wonky pump. Just keep an eye on the water levels and top it up when needed. By the way, if you’re thinking of upgrading or need some pro advice, you should totally check out siwaterscapes.co.uk. They specialize in cool ponds and have nice designs to inspire you.