When will there be an official Home Assistant for Android app???

I agree that if the new Android App was just going to be view HA and Push it’d be pointless.
But it’s also going to allow for Location Tracking and hopefully sensor tracking as well.

That’d mean I could have one less App on my phone when all it’s for is HA anyways.

Yeah, I think the differentiator here is definitely being able to push data from the device back to Home Assistant. Sure, there are other third-party apps that can do this already, or you can even roll your own setup with something like Tasker, which is the route I’ve taken. But for those who are less tech-savvy or don’t want to deal with the hassle of that, having an officially supported solution is a big plus.

That, and as I think someone mentioned upthread, for a lot of people, the first thing they do when looking at a piece of software is look for a mobile app. I agree that responsive websites with homescreen shortcuts are a great way to go when feasible, but a lot of people aren’t necessarily aware of this option or just have the idea of standalone apps ingrained.

1 Like

Great to hear that it’s coming officially to Android. Would love to contribute, PR review or whatever to help with that.

Just trying to find out if this is being done or not? No activity on github since it was announced. :slightly_frowning_face:

Meant to write a update to this post, still will, but short version is iOS 2.0 is slightly behind schedule because Apple broke the ability to test watchOS apps via TestFlight (their beta testing service) and nothing can ship until then. Furthermore, as I laid out in the post, the first beta of the Android app shouldn’t be expected until early to mid summer. Summer doesn’t start until June 21 :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

why not use HA Client for Android, its already there, open source, and works perfectly

Please read the topic, and you will find your answer :wink:

I did, probably they did not check HA Client app

1 Like

You should read the whole thread.

2 Likes

Maybe HA Client can work for me when it supports the custom layout card. Until then it is a no go for me.

2 Likes

@robbiet480
How do we keep up on this?

Is there an official news source for the development on this. I mean not so I can bug but to see how things are going and maybe get in on a beta test

Soon. Beta. Soon.

2 Likes

So are you saying that subscribing to this thread is the best way to keep up?

For now, sure. Will make a thread in the next few days in the Android forum which will be the place for updates.

5 Likes

Hooray, I’m very excited for this! I always thought there was a good niche spot for an official app and am looking forward to using it!

please give us link to this thread…

2 Likes

Extremely interested since I use android…

follow :slight_smile:

Keep an eye out here I think https://community.home-assistant.io/c/mobile-apps/android-companion

Just saying you didn’t have to get a Pixel 3, a pixel 1 for $200 will officially run the latest Android.