Where are all the water flow sensors?

I’m doing a renovation of an old house and would really like to find a way to measure flow for the whole house and potentially turn off the mains remotely. The StreamLabs control unit seems great, but I’d much prefer to self-host rather than working with a cloud-polling API which might expire some day (probably soon). There also seem to be a lack of these devices in Europe in general. Worth emphasising that I don’t need flood detectors, I’ve already got these in place. And ideally prefer zigbee, but can do wifi or zwave if necessary.

Hi, I don’t ever recall seeing any Zigbee or Z-wave flow meters.

You might consider a turbine meter such as the following connected to an ESP32 microcontroller with ESPHome which would make the signal available to Home Assistant via WiFi. The listing refers to a “switch” however I am pretty sure it is a flowmeter as you can see the turbine in the photos and an equation is provided to calculate the flow in l/min from the pulses provided by the turbine.

If this is suitable for your purposes then you could make your own meter for less than $20.

Obviously check the pipe size and connection type before ordering.

I use a similar flow meter/pulse counter and ESP8266 to measure flow, and then a ball valve could enable/disable the flow. Or you could use an all-in-one thing like this: Watercop WaterCop Z-Wave - Watercop, if they’re available in Europe.

You can check sinope. If they can work in Europe for you.
They have automatic shut-off valve with an option to add flowmeter. They are zigbee or wireless. But are in the 1" or 3/4" pipe, that’s why it might not work unless you use adapter or have 25mm pipe equivalent.

Sorry for bumping :slight_smile: After I have this sensor, using ESPhome I gather the flow per 1min.
How can I get the right numbers on dashboard now ? 1 days consumption or something like that ?
Or, I should use grafana

1 Like

working with the fellow at Z-wave JS to get my water meter + valve into HA. Seems to have basic functionality, despite not being supported yet, hopefully the peeps at z-wave js can do their magic.

I’m messing around with just putting a Aqara vibration sensor on the faucet. If in position X for x amount of time, shutdown the water using a wifi/zigbee water valve.

How it goes ? Was that a success?

If anyone is curious - I have the following setup (US):

1. This [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4L48QU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1](https://SDR unit) plugged into HA listening for smart meter readings

2. LIBRTL running in a docker container reading SDR device

#get usb device name of RTL
usblink=`lsusb | grep RTL | sed "s#[^0-9]*\([0-9]*\)[^0-9]*\([0-9]*\).*#/dev/bus/usb/\1/\2#g"`
# run rtl_tcp image
docker stop rtl_tcp; docker rm rtl_tcp; docker run -d --net="host" --name=rtl_tcp  --device $usblink:$usblink -it librtlsdr rtl_tcp -a YOUR_RTL_HOST_ADDRESS
  1. Metermon running in docker relaying RTL to MQTT
docker run -d -e MQTT_BROKER_HOST=YOUR_MQTT_IP_ADDRESS -e MQTT_USERNAME=YOUR_MQTT_BROKER_USER_HERE -e MQTT_PASSWORD=YOUR_MQTT_BROKER_PASSWORD_HERE -e RTL_TCP_SERVER=YOUR_RTL_HOST_IP_ADDRESS:1234 --net="host" --name=metermon seanauff/metermon
  1. HA listening for gas and water meters:
mqtt:
  sensor:
  - state_topic: 'metermon/YOUR_GAS_METER_ID'
      value_template: '{{ value_json.Consumption | float(0) }}'
      name: 'Gas Meter'
      unit_of_measurement: "ft³"
      device_class: gas
      state_class: total
    - state_topic: 'metermon/YOUR_WATER_METER_ID'
      value_template: '{{ value_json.Consumption | float(0) | multiply(10) }}'
      name: 'Water Meter'
      unit_of_measurement: "gal"
      state_class: total
      device_class: water

You can get meter ids from metermon logs. Just pick yours over neighbors using by looking at the actual meter reading.

1. These sensors do work with Energy dashboard
2 Likes

Wow cool. Looks like you meter broadcasts its measurements. Not sure if my does the same… my one looks like just a analog old school meter (im in AU)