Where do I find my external hdd? Hassio knows it is there but

Hey there, IM looking for this solution but I’m not sure about step 4.
what exactly do I need to do, and where?

Best Wonkavator

You need to use the terminal or SSH add-on. Log into the computer running HassOS and there create the directory and mount the drive, see this for some hints: https://youtu.be/PWo1xkE0sds

Hm i see, so everytime HassIO is restarting I need to mount it manually?

You can set up the add-on to run the mount commands every time it starts

@bboti86 Thank you for the steps, i am stuck in identifying the correct partition of my external hard disk.

Shows up as sda: sda2 < sda5 >
My config.json has been mod to /dev/sda1:/dev/sda1:rwm

Please guide in setting this up :slight_smile:

Hey,
Run lsblk
That is the best tool for finding the partition.
B

I am currently on running on hassos and the command is not supported :frowning:

I believe that you can just go to hass.io -> system -> hardware and you should see your drive there

Hi, first of all, thanks for your help and sorry for my English.
I try to mount my HDD following your instructions and when I’ve done the point 4 in SSH I’ve obtained this error “mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /share/mnt failed: No such file or directory”
I see the drive in hass.io -> system -> hardware
I create the addon for SAMBA modifying the file config.jason with

"devices": ["/dev/sda1:/dev/sda1:rwm"],
  "full_access": true,

I try to do this How to mount a USB Thumb Drive (External Storage) in HASSIO? and Add-Ons?
and put in “run.sh” the instruction “mount” .

But, the same result… Can you help me?
Thanks, again

Hi!
Please make sure you check that the directory that you are trying to mount to exists. This error probably indicates that is not the case.
B

try to mount on /mnt not on /share/mnt

Hi. I’m see the disk in Hardware

In the file config.jason:

In the terminal ssh. I try to mount the drive and the result is the same (the directory exist). If I search the disk then I can’t find it.

I’m looking for your response

Hey,
finally I had time to take a closer look on your screenshots.
The mount command tells you that the /dev/sda1 directory does not exist.
The udevd lines in you dmesg output hints that even the kernel was not able to access your drive, it did show up when linux was booting and that is why you see it in hass.io-s interface.
Could you give it a try with a different hard drive or flash drive?

Thanks!
B

Thanks for your help. I’ve tried with another HD and with a flash drive, and the result is the same. Probably I’ll be doing some wrong… but I don’t know what.
This the last test that I’ve done:

I’ve created a fork for SAMBA add-on.
Here is the source code:

And this add-on respoitory can be used to install it:

After installation you need to disable protected mode on add-on page.
This version of SAMBA add-on mounts /dev/sda1 partition to /share/hdd

3 Likes

OK so I installed it and disabled the protection mode. Now the log says “Invalid argument”. I guess I have to enable the external hdd in some way But I don’t know how. I’m using a rpi with HassOS and just plugged the hdd in an USB port. Do I have to do something first?

Could you please provide log output?

i can not install addon-torrdlna on hassio. I click install but it not install. Please help!

Hi,
the logoutput is just:

mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd failed: Invalid argument

and the addon is going status stopped. is there anywhere an advanced logfile?

best regards

Hi hoatienii!

The torrdlna was never a released add-on. I’ve created it only as a proof of concept earlier.
I stopped developing it when I realized that the raspberry pi is simply just not strong enough to handle these software pieces on top of hass.io.

Sorry about it.
However if you have a second Pi there are many docker containers that contain DLNA and a transmission.

Regards!
Botond

1 Like