Where is python and how do I run pip (or imports)

I just can’t seem to get my bearings. I installed HA on a Raspberry Pi via Imager, have easily logged into the UI, added Terminal, add AppDaemon, but now need to run pip to import some dependencies for a script. But … I can’t find python or pip via the Terminal bash (as root?!). And yet the “hello world” for AppDaemon is clearly running.

Where am I? Am I in a shell within an OS? I’m so disoriented. I feel like I’m missing something obvious. Where is python? How do I run pip for dependancies? Am I in a docker instance and don’t know it? If so, how do I edit that config? So confused.

I’d really appreciate any kind words of guidance to show me which way is North.

I am running
Home Assistant 2023.1.2
Supervisor 2022.12.1
Operating System 9.4
Frontend 20230104.0 - latest
On a Raspberry Pi 4
on an image that was created by Raspberry Pi Imager.

I don’t really understand your question. Is AppDaemon installed and working? Are you now trying to write an app? I used this tutorial to install AppDaemon, now I’m reading the documentation to learn how to use it.

@tomwaldnz He probably runs HAos (using an image), and not in a venv like you.
Hence, sudo is not available and your instructions won’t help…

Although i don’t use it myself, from what i understand from the documentation, system packages and python packages are added through the configuration.

system_packages:
  - ffmpeg
python_packages:
  - PyMySQL
  - Pillow

Okay. Thank you @aceindy . Yes, mine was installed as an image AND I was able to get this far running it headless, just interacting over the network via a browser. I think that’s part of the paradigm shift that I missed … I hadn’t see a real login, yet. Now I get it. I didn’t understand how, if I was in a container, how could I modify the container config etc. That part of the puzzle makes sense to me now. My brain couldn’t accept how to add python packages via a configuration. Now I do. Thank you! Really appreciate the guidance.