Where is supervisor (Hassio) from home assistant installed via docker?

Thank you for helping

Thanks for the work…
I get an error on the curl line:

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/krdesigns-com/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh | bash -s

The error:
bash: line 146: /etc/hassio.json: Permission denied

but there is no /etc/hassio.json file, so what permission is denied?

Can someone tell me why the Supervised hass.io version isn’t available any more for a docker installation?
I’m pretty sure that when i started with Home Assistant a few month back the installation guide was there.
I’ve installed it on a NUC i already used for somthing else.

But now i wanted to try something out and used a virtualized Ubuntu machnies and i sadly found that only HA core is installed in docker?

How come?
What is the reason for this?

4 Likes

run “sudo su” first

I’ve done the same, installed via docker and not only am I missing alot of stuff, I can’t add addons or do anything else. If the docker version is so stripped down, what’s the point?

1 Like

If you installed docker you have full access to the host system and can add any other containers to docker that you want… you just can’t use the Supervisor to add them in Home Assistant. Almost all the HA addons can be installed via docker manually. You seem to fundamentally misunderstand all this.
If you want HA addons then install either Home Assistant OS or Home Assistant Supervised which both give you the addon store instead of HA Container that you have.

2 Likes

@Shai_Perednik:
" … you just can’t use the Supervisor to add them in Home Assistant."

But ‘why’ has this changed (it was there before and still have it working on my NUC). What’s the underlying ‘reason’. I’m trying to understand why docker isn’t the way to go… instead of that the users are being pushed to a separate OS. Having a separate OS sounds like a few steps ‘back in time’ imho.

To many users doing dumb things on their supervised install and then swarming github with support questions. The supervised install is still there, but narrowed down to running on Debian and have no other software installed.

Also a bit confused.

https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer = now archived

but this blog post say it is still one of the supported install methods:

Oh I see they working on it at https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/pull/394

im looking as well for a raspi4 homeassistant image for docker and with supervisor.

reason is that i wannna use addons (samba, mosquitto,…) and i wanna restore from a backup i did with raspi3 - but no luck with that. im on homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant now, where no supervisor comes with it.

i know that it is possible to just add whatever to docker, but then they are not configured right to work with ha. might not be a big problem with mosquitto, but (for me) it is with samba. not having a supervisor also cuts the possibility for the backup addon.

does anyone have a suggestion wich image to use?

Ok so from all this conversation I understand that “Add-ons” are not available on docker cause they’re actually separate pieces of software not especifically related to Home Assistant, that you can install on your host as a separate container i.e. Grafana, Influx.

The concept of an “Add-on” makes it sound like a plugin that’s only specific to Home Assistant, sort of like a connector between Home Assitant and the 3rd Party. So I thought that not having the supervisor section on HA because I’m using docker I was actually NOT getting a piece of functionality that other versions do have.

So can anyone confirm that I CAN do exactly the same things in my docker version that I could do with having that supervisor section in other versions?

3 Likes

But I don’t understand, why is still a docker for the hassio-supervisor available?

And as a question, when I want to install the same add-on, I used on my other system, I need to search in docker for the right docker pull?

1 Like

I do not find that section in the link. Can someone help me configure this?

I don’t see a way to enable this anywhere on the configuration pages.

I have the Home Assistant Core docker installed through Docker on my unRaid server.

this is works, thanks

Can you paste the link with Supervisor Ha docker install?

Have you managed to get any clarification about this? I’m kind of having a similar understanding, but I wish to avoid a point where I figure out that it won’t work when I already spent hours working on it…

I could not find the solution in the link.
Is it possible to get supervised from a docker installation ?
Thanks

No. You have to install supervised if you want that.

Thanks for your quick answer. I am running the HA on a QNAP and at the moment I have it under a container. I presume I need the supervisor mode so could you suggest another way for me to install the HA on the QNAP.
Thanks again Phil