Where is supervisor (Hassio) from home assistant installed via docker?

@Shai_Perednik:
" … you just can’t use the Supervisor to add them in Home Assistant."

But ‘why’ has this changed (it was there before and still have it working on my NUC). What’s the underlying ‘reason’. I’m trying to understand why docker isn’t the way to go… instead of that the users are being pushed to a separate OS. Having a separate OS sounds like a few steps ‘back in time’ imho.

To many users doing dumb things on their supervised install and then swarming github with support questions. The supervised install is still there, but narrowed down to running on Debian and have no other software installed.

Also a bit confused.

https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer = now archived

but this blog post say it is still one of the supported install methods:

Oh I see they working on it at https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/pull/394

im looking as well for a raspi4 homeassistant image for docker and with supervisor.

reason is that i wannna use addons (samba, mosquitto,…) and i wanna restore from a backup i did with raspi3 - but no luck with that. im on homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant now, where no supervisor comes with it.

i know that it is possible to just add whatever to docker, but then they are not configured right to work with ha. might not be a big problem with mosquitto, but (for me) it is with samba. not having a supervisor also cuts the possibility for the backup addon.

does anyone have a suggestion wich image to use?

Ok so from all this conversation I understand that “Add-ons” are not available on docker cause they’re actually separate pieces of software not especifically related to Home Assistant, that you can install on your host as a separate container i.e. Grafana, Influx.

The concept of an “Add-on” makes it sound like a plugin that’s only specific to Home Assistant, sort of like a connector between Home Assitant and the 3rd Party. So I thought that not having the supervisor section on HA because I’m using docker I was actually NOT getting a piece of functionality that other versions do have.

So can anyone confirm that I CAN do exactly the same things in my docker version that I could do with having that supervisor section in other versions?

3 Likes

But I don’t understand, why is still a docker for the hassio-supervisor available?

And as a question, when I want to install the same add-on, I used on my other system, I need to search in docker for the right docker pull?

1 Like

I do not find that section in the link. Can someone help me configure this?

I don’t see a way to enable this anywhere on the configuration pages.

I have the Home Assistant Core docker installed through Docker on my unRaid server.

this is works, thanks

Can you paste the link with Supervisor Ha docker install?

Have you managed to get any clarification about this? I’m kind of having a similar understanding, but I wish to avoid a point where I figure out that it won’t work when I already spent hours working on it…

I could not find the solution in the link.
Is it possible to get supervised from a docker installation ?
Thanks

No. You have to install supervised if you want that.

Thanks for your quick answer. I am running the HA on a QNAP and at the moment I have it under a container. I presume I need the supervisor mode so could you suggest another way for me to install the HA on the QNAP.
Thanks again Phil

There may be a supervisor version for QNAP - I don’t know. There is a QNAP area on the forum and they should be able to help you but I think support for that install method is deprecated and may no longer work…

From my understanding:

1. if you install HA on docker, you don’t use add-ons and supervised. All (some/most of ?) additional integrations may be installed as other docker containers
  2. on qnap, synology or other devices you use that you do not have full controll over them, you can install HA on VM created within the device and the preferred way is to install full HA OS - this way you have supervided, addons, etc and you won’t stuck into any limitations from your device (like restricted ports that you can’t use for docker containers)
  3. on your own machine (e.g.RPi), you install either as OS (all pros from using add-ons, supervised, etc) or as docker container (more flexible, if you want to install additional software on the device)

Please correct me if I’m wrong - even though I’ve made it to a successfull installation, I’m still new to the HA and the documentation seems a bit chaotic to me on which instalation method is preferred for different uses AND some doc pages reffer to “add-ons” even though one cannot use them b/c (s)he has installed HA from docker and (s)he should use docker conteainers for particular integrations instead of add-ons - this should be clearly pointed out… Or I’ve missed something…
Regards,
Adam

Nice. Haven’t found this before. Should be pinned or sth. Thanks
However, it still lacks the info that instead of installing add-ons user can use the integrations/extensions as separate docker images. This was the missing piece for me. Docs only refer to add-ons and say nothing about other instalation methods (containers).
Anyway - since I currently only play with configuration (testing what I can and what I cannot do) another question comes to my mind:
From your (more advanced users) perspective: did any of you got into a place where you haven’t been able to achieve the goal with docker installation and finally decided to go back and installed again as an OS? Or a task that should be ease to do with HA installed as an OS was very complicated when installed on docker? I mean e.g. the required addon wasn’t available as a docker or was not working properly.
I still have a chance to easily switch to OS and start everythong from scratch before I start to configure it for real. Still think the docker is more flexible though.
(installed on RPi4)

No guide would be able to cover this. The docker-compose files and individual settings for each container vastly vary and can depend on the individual system.

If you want a particular container, head to docker hub and use the provided instructions and config for the container you wish to use. It’s not the job of HA to provide information on how to install some endless list of docker containers.

If you want ease of use, install HA OS and then use the included add-ons which are already configured to work within the HA environment.

Not exactly what I think I was asking about but thanks for detailed answer.
No I do not need that much ease of use like I like the flexibility. I can solve potential problems myself and/or find solutions over the net. Sorry - my question was maybe to much out of topic.
Thanks.