Where to set refresh_value for devices added through the UI?

I have 20 or so dimmers from HomeSeer and others where the state doesn’t get represented in Home Assistant correctly because of the time it takes for them to slow fade on/off.

I understand the fix is to set refresh_value and possibly delay to get Home Assistant to poll those devices delay seconds later when the dimmer has reached its steady state.

But I’m not sure where to add this to the configuration. Those entities were all added through the UI so the definitions are in <config>/.storage/core.entity_registry.

So where should I add this definition?

I don’t have a zwave: section in my configuration.yaml.

The Z-wave installation doc hints that might be able to set a device_config_glob to override the entry for all devices without having to name them, but it doesn’t really saw how a global device config entry is defined.

If possible, I’d like to avoid having to add this to 20+ entities.

Thanks for any help.

You’ve almost already answered your own question. You add the settings to configuration.yaml even if you are using the UI Integration. If you don’t want to specify light by light, I would use the domain_config_domain key. Here are examples of all three: https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2017/02/25/config-panel-and-state-restoration/#z-wave-customize-is-now-device-config

Using light domain:

zwave:
  device_config_domain:
    light:
      refresh_value: true
      delay: 4

Since every z-wave dimmer is a light, and toggles are switches, it probably just makes sense to set the entire light domain, but you can use glob if that’s your preference.

If you also want to manage some settings per-entity in the control panel (exclude entity and polling interval), I would use this:

zwave:
  device_config: !include zwave_device_config.yaml
  device_config_domain:
    light:
      refresh_value: true
      delay: 4

The GUI will save to that file.

1 Like

@freshcoast - Thank you - that was an extremely helpful answer.

I hadn’t seen that blog post.

If that example had been in the docs, I would have been able to do this without having to ask.

So I have been experimenting with Openzwave and have the same problem as you state above (HomeSeer dimmers not reflecting proper state)

The documentation for Openzwave doesn’t reference device_config: and refresh_values, anyone know how to solve this problem using Openzwave?

1 Like