Where's the blue box?

…that was shown on top to inform users how to format code blocks?

3 Likes

“Poking” some moderators to highlight this.
Sorry if I spammed you but I (we) rely on this to help noobs understand how to format their code so I(we) can help them better…
Thanks
@Tinkerer @arsaboo @rpitera

in the meantime i’m going to use this as my default template :slight_smile:

Could you format your code using the </> button in the editor please? It makes it easier to see whether there are obvious syntax/indentation issues

2 Likes

Yeah, @pnbruckner and I noticed that a week or 2 ago. It’s a pain in the ass to explain to people now. Not sure why it’s gone. If you go to the discord server and ask for markup, the bot will shoot a link to show people how to do markup. It all works here. Also, somewhere in my history is the link, but it was a while ago.

I book marked it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fixed, dunno what happened!

No worries. I’ve raised it with those who run the forum!

Thanks

Edit: and in the time it took me to write that, it was fixed :slight_smile:

Your excellent screenshot has now been enshrined in the global history of the forum, thanks for that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

You have to scroll all the way to the top. I didn’t see it first time I looked either.

Thanks @Tinkerer :blush:

@lolouk44

As long as the picture is being enshrined, might it be better for the highlighted phrase to be “code to be formatted” as opposed to “code the be formatted”? :wink:

Lol yes that may be a good idea :joy:
I’ll create a new one for one of the moderators to update

Hi @robbiet480,
@pnbruckner made me realise I can type :open_mouth:
Can you replace the picture with this one?

All fixed!

2 Likes

@lolouk44 @robbiet480

I think this has helped a bunch, but I think it can help a bunch more if it could be slightly improved. One of the biggest problems still is that this technique doesn’t work if the highlighted text is preceded by a non-blank line. (To say that the other way, for this technique to work, if the highlighted block of text follows other text there must be a blank line separating them.) So even though people follow these instructions, it often still doesn’t work. Not sure of the best way to address that, but maybe something like:

1 Like

snaps fingers

Done

2 Likes