Which Dcoker Network Mode?

To be honest, I think this might be more of a Docker question, but at least here you’ll understand the context better, hopefully even solved it yourself. Which Docker network mode does everyone use for their HA docker installation?

In order to get discovery working properly I have to run HA’s Docker (not HASSIO) container using Docker’s host mode, which effectively removes the layer between the hosts’ network and Docker’s. It also means that HA’s container doesn’t get an automatic DNS entry for the other containers to communicate.

The other option is to use it’s own network, so all the devices get their automatic DNS entry, any services that are purely internal stay that way (I have an Elastic Search container collecting log entries from the various services via syslog for example, only syslog & Kibana need to be exposed.

Has anyone else managed to use Docker’s bridge mode & get it to pass multicast traffic across it? I guess it’s a bit like forwarding it across different vlans. Which mode does Hassio use?

I think you need to use host networking because Docker doesn’t support UDP multicast, which is likely used by some devices you have. Having said that, there’s a plugin (called Weave or something) that allegedly allows it, although I have not tried.

What I ended up doing was putting HA on the host network and then changing config for the other images so that they talked to HA on it’s external address.

This is exactly how I did it as I needed to use host mode so that the Homekit integration would work.

1 Like