Which Direction should I take , HassOs on odroid HC1 with dev 3.0 image or dietpi on odroid HC1 with docker home assistant install?

Hi ,

I could do with some advice on which way to turn , I have been using home assistant for about 2 months now on a Raspberry Pi 3B with the Hassio image and before that I was running Openhabian . Unlike a lot of people I’ve had a relatively easy transition to Home assistant and its works incredibly well , I don’t know why I didn’t switch sooner. My only concern is like others I would rather not have the system running from an SD card , although it must be said I have had no corruption issues or failed SD cards so far including when running Openhabian before.

However I would like to get a head of the disaster and move to a more stable SSD setup, on a faster Odroid HC1. My indecision is based on the fact that I love the HassOs install as I not overly bothered about tinkering with the OS and I wont be using the Odroid for anything other than Home assistant. However, as far as I know the attached SSD will only automount and accept moving the data directory on the Development 3.0 branch image as discussed here and this involves me staying on the dev branch until 3.0 become the next stable (also how do I update hassio when using the Dev branch as I’ve read that the update in the system tab will downgrade you back to stable ?) .

Alternatively I could just install DietPi on the Odroid and run Hassio in Docker ( although I will say I’ve never invested any time with docker and so know very little, other than the concept itself) with this method of install I know I could run the OS on the SSD and just boot from the SD Card but how easy is it to update Hassio in docker ? can I still use the backup function available to the HassOs image ?

I’m fairly confident with my abilities using Linux (been using for 4 years now on several distros ) however , relatively I’m still a Noob and spend most of my time using search engines to work out even relatively basic issues I’ve come across . Is Docker a step to high ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

A click of a couple of buttons?

Sure. You’re just running hassio

Well thats good to know, the documentation led me to believe that I had to do a docker pull in terminal to update. Although some videos I’ve watched suggest removing the container each time and then setting up home assitant again for each update.
I can see the advantages of docker but I wouldnt be using the system for anything other than home assistant so this does seem a little bit of overkill.

The documentation covers normal home assistant in docker, not hassio running in docker.

For regular home assistant in docker…

1 Like

Ah! Thanks for the clarification, after doing a bit of research on docker and dietpi I think this is a great route to take, especially as dietpi can move the rootfs to the SSD for me and also install docker.
Thanks for clearing things up for me, much appreciated