Which ESP32 board is the ESP-WROOM-32?

Just setting this up for the first time, I have the ESP-WROOM-32 board. Wikipedia page says it is an Espressif board, but the boards list in the ESPHome documentation doesn’t list this board, it has a few others but I’m not sure which one most closely lines up with what I have?

I bought the same the other day for testing and I used the generic esp32, the first on the list. Just tested a bt tracker and ibeacon and both worked.

Cool, that’s what I just decided to try :slight_smile:

Glad to hear the bt tracker stuff is working, that’s actually why I bought the ESP32’s I got, to replace a few of the 8266 nodes already running. Grabbed them and a few of the tiny NRF51822 modules. Figured this (ESPHome) would be the first option I try, if I like it I may replace the firmware running on all the sensor nodes with it.

board: nodemcu-32s

Also known as ESP32-DevkitC, see first ‘Overview’ paragraph here: https://www.espressif.com/en/products/hardware/esp32-devkitc/overview and here: https://esphomelib.com/esphomeyaml/devices/nodemcu_esp32.html

7 Likes

It worked in the sense of the binary compiled and i can see the log, but no match, problem is only tracks BLE at the moment. So forget about iphones (at least in my case)
To track iphones the tracker has to be use classic bluetooth mode, search google and you will find not too much yet for esp32.

The ibeacon worked also be there is not yet any option for reducing the TX power yet, but is on the roadmap as i understand

I’m not as concerned about tracking phones right now (I use Zanzito on my Androids with Owntracks emulation with great success right now). I’d be tracking the little NRF modules I got. My other option, depending on how this works for that is to try OpenMQTTGateway which I’ve seen mentioned several times. It was my original plan when I put in the order for the ESP32 devices, but then ESPHome caught my eye and looks like it might be more powerful at the moment.

Which ones? do you mean nordic SC?

These guys.

The only thing I really regret right now is I grabbed the ones that didn’t come with the little case, so I’m going to have to rig something up until I get a 3d printer to make a case for them. My first three cases are going to be animal tracking, car tracking, and key tracking. I’m roughly following what this guy did in his project for geolocation. I’ll probably swipe a few of the other things he did later as well.

I have one of those nrf chips for ibeacon cased by wellcore. I made a mistake configuring the module and now is lock down in deploy mode. Do you have experience programming/flashing this modules? If i open the case i can see holes for the SWD,CLK VCC and GND. I need to reset it

Never worked with them before. Though if you follow the LoRa link, click the section for geolocation (one of the last sections in the guide) and he has some info on flashing one. That’s what I was planning to follow, I just need some clips to clip to the headers.

1 Like

Pretty sure the one I have is not that, looks like it’s Devkit V1. Got to hooking up a sensor and my pinout is totally different. Matches this one so I’m going to try just using the data from that in code and see what happens. I have noticed this chip gets noticeably warm, where as my 8266 chips don’t really warm up at all. I may end up scrapping the 5 chips I bought already and doing a little more research into the 32 chips so I can buy the right thing.

3 Likes

That one is in the board reference:

http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/boards/espressif32/esp32doit-devkit-v1.html#board-espressif32-esp32doit-devkit-v1

board type: sp32doit-devkit-v1

7 Likes

Did you managed to solve it?
I am getting an error when flashing it via OTA, only if I addd more sensors, if not I dont get the error.

INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/xxxxxxx.yaml...
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Compiling app...
Processing puerta-peatones (board: esp32dev; framework: arduino; platform: platformio/espressif32 @ 3.5.0)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> https://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
Dependency Graph
|-- <AsyncTCP-esphome> 1.2.2
|-- <WiFi> 1.0
|-- <FS> 1.0
|-- <Update> 1.0
|-- <ESPAsyncWebServer-esphome> 2.1.0
|   |-- <AsyncTCP-esphome> 1.2.2
|-- <DNSServer> 1.1.0
|-- <ESPmDNS> 1.0
|-- <Wire> 1.0.1
RAM:   [=         ]  13.0% (used 42548 bytes from 327680 bytes)
Flash: [=====     ]  51.2% (used 939406 bytes from 1835008 bytes)
========================= [SUCCESS] Took 2.31 seconds =========================
INFO Successfully compiled program.
INFO Resolving IP address of xxxxxxx.local
INFO  -> 192.168.xxxxxxx
INFO Uploading /data/xxxxxxx/.pioenvs/puerta-peatones/firmware.bin (939520 bytes)
Uploading: [====================================================        ] 87% 
ERROR Error sending data: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Looking into the source code the board type does not matter all that much, just defining a few special pins and mapping most boards to the VARIANT_ESP32. “esp32dev” should be sufficient for most cases.

esp32dev
“esp32dev”: {},
“esp32dev”: VARIANT_ESP32,

esp32doit-devkit-v1
“esp32doit-devkit-v1”: {“LED”: 2},
“esp32doit-devkit-v1”: VARIANT_ESP32,

nodemcu-32s
“nodemcu-32s”: {“BUTTON”: 0, “LED”: 2},
“nodemcu-32s”: VARIANT_ESP32,

Did you manage to solve it?
I would try to flash over USB in such case. Maybe the first flash have to be done locally to repartition it properly so it can fit more stuff.

Are these the same? Looking how to configure it with esphome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072HBW53G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1