Which line tells me which Zigbee device is causing this error?

I’m trying to set up a zigbee network to monitor the temperatures of my hot houses, and to alert me if someone has left a door or vent open.

I’m having some trouble with dropouts and other general errors, and I keep getting this message in my logs.

Which line in the message tells me which device or devices this relates to?

And how do I get the code below to format nicely on this forum, I’m sure there used to be a code block option but I can’t seem to find it anymore.

[0x91CA:1:0x0020] Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/endpoint.py”, line 265, in request return await self.device.request( ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/device.py”, line 339, in request await send_request() File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/application.py”, line 834, in request await self.send_packet( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 827, in send_packet raise zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError( zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError: Failed to deliver message: <sl_Status.ZIGBEE_DELIVERY_FAILED: 3074> The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zha/zigbee/cluster_handlers/general.py”, line 630, in check_in_response await self.checkin_response(True, self.CHECKIN_FAST_POLL_TIMEOUT, tsn=tsn) File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zha/zigbee/cluster_handlers/init.py”, line 84, in wrapper with wrap_zigpy_exceptions(): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/contextlib.py”, line 158, in exit self.gen.throw(value) File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zha/zigbee/cluster_handlers/init.py”, line 76, in wrap_zigpy_exceptions raise ZHAException(message) from exc zha.exceptions.ZHAException: Failed to send request: Failed to deliver message: <sl_Status.ZIGBEE_DELIVERY_FAILED: 3074>

[0x91CA:1:0x0020] Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/endpoint.py”, line 265, in request return await self.device.request( ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/device.py”, line 339, in request await send_request() File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/application.py”, line 834, in request await self.send_packet( File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 827, in send_packet raise zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError( zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError: Failed to deliver message: <sl_Status.ZIGBEE_DELIVERY_FAILED: 3074> The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zha/zigbee/cluster_handlers/general.py”, line 632, in check_in_response await self.set_long_poll_interval(self.LONG_POLL) File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zha/zigbee/cluster_handlers/init.py”, line 84, in wrapper with wrap_zigpy_exceptions(): File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/contextlib.py”, line 158, in exit self.gen.throw(value) File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zha/zigbee/cluster_handlers/init.py”, line 76, in wrap_zigpy_exceptions raise ZHAException(message) from exc zha.exceptions.ZHAException: Failed to send request: Failed to deliver message: <sl_Status.ZIGBEE_DELIVERY_FAILED: 3074>

The </> button. Sometimes hidden under the cog menu on mobile devices. Or just surround your post with three backticks as explained in the FAQ.

It doesn’t tell you in those error messages. Are you using ZHA or Zigbee2MQTT?

Do you have any zigbee routers (generally, mains powered zigbee devices) on your mesh, or are they all battery powered?

The error you’re seeing is because the coordinator can’t communicate directly with your sensors due to distance and/or interference. Finding out what device this error relates to won’t fix your issue, but adding a few zigbee routers will.

Read up on this and make sure to follow the recommendations within - hopefully that’ll solve your issue.

ZHA. It seemed simpler to set up.

Do you have any zigbee routers (generally, mains powered zigbee devices) on your mesh, or are they all battery powered?

Yes, I have over a dozen. Two in every greenhouse. Every device on my network should be in range of three routers, and every router should be in range of two others.

Finding out what device this error relates to won’t fix your issue

Would I be correct in saying that the error message is simply that one (or more) of my Zigbee devices has dropped off of the network, and that if I delete the device or get it back on o the network then the error message will go away, but that the error message doesn’t tell me which device it is that’s dropped off the network?

If that’s true, then I know which devices are currently unreachable, and I don’t need to worry about the error message as it’s covering something that I’m already aware of and am already looking to fix.

The network map in both ZHA and Z2MQTT (whichever you’re using) should indicate which of these devices has the lowest LQI and if they’re actually being routed via the router. I would start my investigations there

Sorry, I didn’t word that very well.

I already know which devices aren’t on the network, as I’ve taken the batteries out of them but not deleted the entities form Home Assistant. I was just clarifying that the error message that I posted tells me that “something” Zigbee related has dropped off of the network, but that the message itself doesn’t actually say which devices they are.

Would that be a correct interpretation?

Well, kinda.

You are correct in stating that the error message does not explicitly mention which device if referring to.

Then again, if you removed the battery from multiple devices, ZHA won’t know what you did and will throw that error when a heartbeat message does not go through.

That’s why I suggested you use the ZHA map instead of trying to determine the device from the error itself. It will show you exactly which devices it considers offline (after a couple of hours).

I haven’t touched ZHA in a while, but I seem to recall that when this happens, your device entities will also be marked as unavailable in HA itself

This is OK, I already know what’s been disconnected as it was me who did the disconnecting, I just wasn’t sure if this message was about them, or if it was some other problems, which was why I was trying to find out what it related to.

1 Like