Which linux distro for Home Assistant

Why not use larger drives and not bother with external?

Use what you have. Not everyone has the ability to go out an spend money on large density drives.

Unless you plan on running a completely vanilla install of Debian 10 with nothing else other than HA installed, you will be considered unsupported. I wouldn’t stress too much about needing to rebuild your instance if it’s working well for you currently.

I mean I want to use that particular mounted drive for storage. I don’t want to have all data being uploaded to the main drive where I have Ubuntu Server Installed and HA running.

Again this question would be based on if I have chosen the correct installation method. So just to reiterate, I want a system that runs Home Assistant and should also have access to the second drive for NAS. I hope that makes sense. (I would do a windows FTP server and just have one drive for that but I don’t and can’t leave my windows PC switched on at all times).

When you create a mount point in Linux, it appears as a directory to all applications. In other words, the application is not aware of, for example /my_nas represents a directory on an internal drive, externally attached drive, or a drive in another device on the network. In other words, the mounted drive is “transparent” to the application. So if you install Home Assistant Supervised on Debian (or Ubuntu or some other Linux distro) you are able to mount drives and make them accessible, and “transparent”, to applications.

Oh I was hoping there could be some sort of solution where I could pull out the specific drive and connect it to any PC and go through the files

So that’s a requirement you overlooked to mention since the beginning of this thread which began with:

Any drive can be unmounted. However, unmounting and walking away with it to another computer is not really how one envisions a storage device used by an FTP server. Perhaps you should explain the details of your requirements.

You said you wish to pull out the drive and “connect it to any PC”. Do you mean a Windows PC? I assume you know that the storage device’s file system (default is Ext4) on the Linux-based server will not be in Windows’ preferred NTFS format?

Sounded like you wanted to mount USB as second drive by the way it was being discussed. Sorry misunderstood.

Maybe you should look at Cockpit.
This will help with Linux server management. I still recommend read the docs but this is a very good tool.

Yeah what I meant was in theory, I could walk away with it and my Home Assistant would function just fine. Just that I wouldn’t have FTP access anymore

That totally looks interesting. I could essentially use the root for Ubuntu Server, install HA there and then configure other drives for FTP?

Maybe think of this more of partition or folders vs disk
Disk implies seperate physical media while partition/folders may be seperate or on same media/disk

In this manner I usually add the partitions
/main
/movie
/media
/ftp_1
/ftp_2

This may be same disk or seperate disk.
If /movie folder increase beyond the space allotted on disk it shares with /media, I can add new seperate disk and mount that new disk as /movie and remount old disk as /media.

Thinking about this as partition or folders makes more since in manner by which you will organize on the media.

Ah yes I did kind of get the gist of that.

As I understand, my second drive is mounted at /mnt/sda

What’s the command to allocate for example /media/ to /mnt/sda/ftp/media? Rather than sharing the SSD drive for media? Or is that something I shouldn’t care about?

You can make symlink(I believe)
OR
You can edit /etc/fstab and define mountpoint for disk. In this case I think you mount disk as /mnt/sda/ftp and then create /media folder within that.

Actually I would normally have defined the partitions space (for example 500GB of 1TB) on the disk then mounted that partition as /mnt/sda/ftp/media but if your already using the disk it could be pain to do so mounting disk as desired name and adding folder is OK. The difference being that the /media partition only had access to 500GB and maybe I specified it as ext4 vs /media folder having access to all of 1TB and limited to filesystem type of the disk. In future if get new disk then you can do this. You may also be more aware if desired origination method and partition space/qty requirements to better organize this.

You could also more simply mount the disk as /mnt/ftp
or /ftp to make simpler file paths as you will be typing this out a lot.

Read about /etc/fstab file and uuid’s for your better understanding.

This is decent overview I found but again, read the official docs on this
https://linuxconfig.org/how-fstab-works-introduction-to-the-etc-fstab-file-on-linux

If you open /etc/fstab file in server you will see your /sda disk defined and some general details.

1 Like

I’ll look at that stuff.

Currently the drive is empty and not doing anything apart from being mounted. So I can play around with it until I get a proper setup going

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man5/fstab.5.html

1 Like

I apologize in advance. But the USB Bluetooth adapter does not run on Debian. I have tried 8 different cores and 4 adapters. It’s all useless!

What USB bluetooth adapter?

ORICO BTA-409 (CSR8510A10)
EDUP LOVE EP-B3536 (RTL8761BU)
Another old 2.0 and one noname

In general, it turned out to be fixed. Only I didn’t understand how. I completely reinstalled Linux with the inserted USB adapter ORICO BTA-409 (CSR8510A10). While it works, sometimes there are failures, but this is rare and possible due to the large number of Wi-Fi devices. It remains to somehow connect the Bluetooth speaker to the Home Assistant

Why would you want to do that?

I want to receive sound notifications from Home assistant