Which linux distro for Home Assistant

I’m looking at moving over from Pi 3B+ to my old PC.

Now I know Linux is light weight and Ubuntu Server is probably the go to for it. However, I have close to 0% knowledge about Ubuntu/Linux but would be up for the challenge.

Anyway, I did install Ubuntu server and got HA running as per JuanMTech’s guide.

I have a few things I want to do.

1. Use a second drive for FTP storage to store data from IP cameras or files or whatever I want. (I currently have that drive with a copy of windows on it but want to format it).

2. Bluetooth integration for things like Xiaomi BLE Temperature sensors. My old PC doesn’t really have bluetooth.

What would the be the best distribution for everything I want to do? I don’t really know much about Linux at all so I’ve gotta ask :man_shrugging:

Debian is the only officially supported Linux distro for use with Home Assistant Supervised.

The Community Guides section of this forum contains instructions for installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian as well as other distros. However, anything other than Debian is considered to be a community-supported variation.

Then you should install Home Assistant OS because it includes its own operating system and manages its own upgrades.

1 Like

However that will unfortunately prevent the ability to do this:

Even just plugging a USB drive into a HA machine running HAOS with the thought of saving CCTV to the external drive doesn’t work.

If a user knows little to nothing about Linux (and Docker) and wants a good Home Assistant experience, they should choose Home Assistant OS (HA OS).

If they wish to use the same server for other purposes, like storing CCTV content, then they will require knowledge of Linux (and Docker if they choose anything other than the Core installation method). Knowledge that far exceeds posing the question “Which distro?”

In addition, ADR-0014 states that Home Assistant Supervised is intended to be used on a dedicated server. The implication is that if the machine is used for other purposes, the user takes on the responsibility of resolving any conflicts this may cause to the operation of Home Assistant. Translation: the user must have, or acquire, adequate linux management skills (and knowledge of networking).

1 Like

Well here’s the thing. If I’m keeping a PC on all the time, I want to use it for server storage as well and transfer files to it over FTP.

I could then also use it for backend projects that I learn about and keep them accessible.

If it means I need to look through further guides/tutorials, I’m up for it.

Would I be better off going with Debian or carrying on with the headless server for now?

That’s great and expect to spend a fair bit of time and effort because there’s a lot of material to cover.

1 Like

In general, Debian or Ubuntu are safe bets.

I prefer docker as it allows installing and managing other services easily

This Docker image for homeassistant
https://hub.docker.com/r/homeassistant/home-assistant/

Guides are nice but avoid them. Often they recommend bad practice or old methods. Go out of your way to use Official Documentation for everything thing you install. This go further and read about and understand every command the documentation tells you to run. Doing this you will limit mistakes and learn fast.

It’s not super simple but not hard either

I’ve got home assistant installed.

Have you got any good solutions for using a second drive for file storage?

First off Debian can be run headless as well so that’s a moot distinction.

But if you already have Ubuntu running HA then I wouldn’t mess with it and just go from there. If you are using the machine for anything other than just running HA the you are already not “officially supported” anyway.

The “it’s not officially supported” thing sounds way more ominous than it actually is. I’ve been running HA now for over 3 years and have only asked for “official support” a few times. Two times were on the discord channel and it never helped me at all either time. I suppose you could get “official support” by submitting bug reports when you find them but I typically don’t find the bugs soon enough to have needed to do that aside from a few times and unless a lot of people are experiencing those same bugs it won’t get touched either.

Most of the support you will get is going to be from people here on the forums.

The bottom line is stay with what you have and you’ll likely be fine for a long time to come. And if you get into trouble come here and ask (after doing your own research a bit to see if it’s already been asked/answered first of course :wink:).

1 Like

get a bigger drive for PC your using and dont have seperate storage

add network storage (you can make with Raspberry pi)

My main PC that I use has plenty of storage. I’m looking at additional storage so I can transfer and save camera footage mainly to start with.

What would the issue be with just using the Ubuntu Server that’s got Home Assistant for storage instead of having to run the Pi as well?

No problem in my real opinion.

Don’t have real idea of the amount of storage you need.
Do you currently have 1TB and want another 3TB or do you have 16TB and need 100TB more. The context is missing and after some point looking at hardware options should be considered so I add that option for your further consideration

To start with I’m just going to use what I have.

So 240gb SSD which runs Ubuntu server and currently has HA on it.

I have a 500gb HDD in the computer as well but want to mount and use it all as storage in the server ideally and later upgrading to 1TB or more

Actually, that’s not particularly meaningful. There are four installation methods:

1. Home Assistant OS
  2. Home Assistant Supervised
  3. Home Assistant Container
  4. Home Assistant Core

Depending on which one you used, it will determine what your system is capable of doing (or not).

For additional information refer to the following:

I would reckon is number 2 as in accordance to this guide that I followed?

That guide is almost a year old and, considering how rapidly the Home Assistant project evolves, should be considered to be outdated. Minimally, it uses outdated terminology.

Home Assistant Supervised appears to be the installation method you’ve used and, for others who wish to use the same method, the latest installation guide can be found in the Community Guides section.

Okay there was an update on that guide as of April 2020.

Nonetheless, I got my second drive mounted and is basically in /mnt/sda

Anything I can do to get files stored there?

Or am I better off at looking at doing a different kind of install?

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Because, on the surface, it sounds like you want to know the command for copying files (cp in linux) but surely it must be more a more complex question that that.

Is there an official communication from the devs about that? Meaning that Debian will be the OS of choice for Home Assistant Supervised? I’ve been waiting to hear officially before I start rebuilding my instance.

Yes, look in the second post of this thread. It contains a link to ADR-0014.