Which of these thermostats have the best experience with HA?

I have the Honeywell T6 hooked directly to Home Assistant via z-wave. No cloud/internet required. Works perfectly.

Mind me asking exactly which one?

1 Like

Thank you kindly!

Be mindful of the .5 degree threshold on this thermostat.

Especially if you have a multi zone system that can move a room .5 degrees quickly it can cause your unit to short cycle.

I have 3 of them and I setup an automation to force a 2 degree threshold.

.5 means if itā€™s set to 65 it will turn on at 65.5 and off at 65. Most thermostats would turn on at 66 and off at 64. With my 3 zone setup it was going on for 10 minutes and off for 5 minutes consistently until I set this up. But I would take this over a nest or ecobee any day. Itā€™s a great thermostat otherwise.

My Honeywells (WiFi version) have a setting they call ā€œHeating Cycle Rate.ā€ As I understand it, the thermostat sets a ā€œgoalā€ of how many cycles per hour are needed to maintain the set temperature, instead of just blindly turning the system on or off at some threshold.

Thereā€™s a brief description of it here.

It works very well. Most of the time the rooms stay exactly at the set temperature, no fluctuations.

The honeywell zwave one has this as well. I would assume itā€™s a standard option on all units. It actually has up to 2 stages for cool or heat.

That didnā€™t work for me. I think a 2 degree threshold is optimal for efficiency it would be nice to adjust that in the thermostat settings but itā€™s locked. It takes a few minutes for HVAC to get efficient and with 1 degree by the time it gets efficient it turns off. At least for me with my 3 zone setup. In other situations it may be fine if the resistance is high enough and the thermostat does not move 1 degree quickly. Mine do.

For my upstairs system, I have 4 sensors that I average to control the thermostat. One in each of the 3 bedrooms used at night and the main thermostat which is in the loftā€¦ I use a 1.2 degree spread. Turns on at 72.3 and off at 71.

Do you mind sharing your automation to accomplish this? I have one being delivered today and didnt realize this when purchasing. Are you using any external temp sensors with this? I donā€™t have a multi zone setup persay, only one ac and furnace with one tstat, but I do have z wave temp sensors around the house already.

I would say wait and see if you encounter the issue. If you only have a single zone depending on thermostat location you may not have a short cycle issue.

When I say multizone Iā€™m referring to dampers. You can theoretically use your sensors to adjust your thermostat to keep it on or turn it off if you wanted as well. This of course becomes sophisticated but thatā€™s a method you could use to make use of the sensors.

If you do have an issue I can share the automation. Not sure of your technical skills but itā€™s fairly sophisticated. I also have a previous less sophisticated way as well if the first is too much.

Hereā€™s a simple way of thinking about how to approach this. When the thermostat does any of the below +/- 2 from the current temperature.

Ac:
  on: -2
  off: +2
Heat: 
  on: +2
  off: -2

Your temperature in between is your ā€œtrueā€ set temperature.

If I want 66 I would set 67.
67 - 2 = 65. The temperature in between = 66.
Turns on at 67 and off at 65.

The thermostat is great I wouldnā€™t panic. It is very reliable.

Iā€™m very surprised that any decent thermostat made today wouldnā€™t have a minimum run time and minimum off time.

I have a rebadged version of this:
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/82
Works great. Need zwave, but it is all local control.

It has a ā€œcycle rateā€ but that didnā€™t work for me.

Iā€™ve had it up for a day now and this is defintely happending to me. I went in an adjusted the cycle rate, but as you said, I dont think this is actually working. If youre willing to share, id love to see how you acomplished this

Check your DMs.

Hello Danny2100, Can you also share you theromostat automation with me?

Would like to see that automation as well if you donā€™t mind sharing.

Hello all,

I have a Google Nest thermostat now and Iā€™m not really happy about the intergration with HA.
I needed to create flows in Node red with delays to protect it from having API errors. Itā€™s hard to connect and it costs 5 dollars.

That said. I managed to make a home and away function via Node red, that works finaly after many trial and errors.

I recently bought an AC to help with heating (on electric to save gas) and now Iā€™m discovering the shortcomings of the Nest thermostat. Itā€™s update inteval is very poor so itā€™s hard to start, for example, my AC when the thermostat is in ā€˜heatingā€™ modes. Also, when trying to test things it makes HA crash and restart and wonā€™t connect very easy again.

Soā€¦ iā€™m looking for the perfect solution:
A thermostat that is smart, updating fast and is easily to intergrate with HA.
If i read the above Iā€™m thinking about the Ecobee 3 or Honywell. Can someone give me a little advice?

Is this thermostat pretty easy to program automations and change temperatures in automations via the gui? I have the RCS-TBZ48A, and I cannot set temperatures through automation. At least, not easily. It is not intuitive at all, and Iā€™m not much of a yaml writer. I thought upgrading to the 2GIG-STZ-1 may provide improvements. Nope.

This is the next one Iā€™m looking at. Iā€™d prefer to have 100% local control of my system; that is why Iā€™ve begun this HA journey.

Thanksā€¦

1 Like

Yes, you can set temperature, modes etc easily.