Which one to buy ? ZigStar UZG vs SMLIGHT SLZB-06M

Hello everyone,

I am looking to move into home automation using home assistant, I have purchased two tuya zigbee devices (door sensor and presence sensor).

Now I am looking to integrate them with Homeassistant (installed on my RasperryPi 4B).

I searched for Zigbee co-ordinators and found these two, Zigstar uzg and SMLIGHT SLZB-06M. I liked these two because they offered ethernet connectivity as opposed to connecting it via usb to the Pi.

Apart from the price difference between the two (SMLIGHT is cheaper :slight_smile: ), which one is better in terms of ease of use ? Has anyone faced any difficulties or problems with these two over a period of time ?

I would really appreciate your help.

1 Like

What are you going to use: ZHA or Zigbee2MQTT ? If Zigbee2MQTT, definitely the Zigstar, if using ZHA, either will be good. There is also the SMLIGHT SLZB-06.

1 Like

I have two SLZB-06s (1 coordinator, 1 router) and love them. They have a straightforward UI and firmware is easy to flash.

1 Like

That is why I mentioned the SMLIGHT SLZB-06, it uses a TI chipset, the SMLIGHT SLZB-06M uses a silabs chipset.

1 Like

Definitely!!! Exactly why I went with the SLZB-06 vs the M. I’ve had more success with the TI chipsets and read a lot of your posts. :grinning:

I had the Sonoff P and E, but finally settled on ethernet coordinator/routers.

I was thinking of using Zigbee2MQTT

Is the SMLIGHT SLZB-06 better than the M version ? I thought the M version is more newer ?

I would Prefer the SLZB-06 over the M.

1 Like

Thank you @francisp and @LiQuid_cOOled, Im going with the SLZB-06 :slight_smile:

Did you get one in the end?

I bought a SLZB-06 but it couldnt connect to my network. Contacted support and they gave me another one but still the same issue, it will never connect to the network.

I have a UZG-01 that works fine except it is P7 based and I wanted something with the P2 chipset for more stability and maybe separating my network in the future (1 have over 150 devices)

I am wondering if these SLZB-06 are just defective? Cant possibly be my network?

P7 now is at pretty good stage,update using MultiTool to this last firmware: Z-Stack_3.x.0 coordinator 20240315 feedback · Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware · Discussion #496 · GitHub

I am still having the bug where the UZG-01 requires a full power cycle even with the latest firmware.

I had to do one this morning after the network being stable for the last 5 days, woke up to half my devices offline and nothing working.

Can you provide here a list for Tuya devices in your network?
also try to use MQTT option available in UZG-01 to restart automatically until Koenkk is solving the issues

1 Like

Sure @mercenaruss , let me do that on the Zigstar thread, makes more sense there

What’s your reasoning?

The non M version is an older chip I believe that is better supported. The M version uses a newer chip.

I have two of the non M versions and have zero issues.

I use SLZB-06M, no problem.
Works well with EmberZNet

Hi Pepe59,

Hope you are good !!

Need some help and advice regarding the setup .I am trying to setup my Z2M network. I am running HA on generic-x86-64 hardware with HA Supervisor and Core OS.

I have recently order smlight slzb-06m coordinator and planning to run with a LAN connection so that i can place in a central location.

The first problem i encountered is that when I plug the LAN cable to the coordinator the yellow power led didn’t glow , so I have power with the C-type USB. I was under impression that only the LAN connection will be sufficient for both network and power . Is my device is a faulty or its how it work.

I have install the add-on Zigbee2MQTT and Mosquitto broker is running locally as I am using that for my Solar integration (That is also one of my ongoing project :slight_smile: ). I have updated the port details and tried to start but its failing. Looks like I am missing some config

Error :-

If you would like to power via UTP LAN, you must have a switch that supports POE power.
I also use USB C power here
Configuration that works for me but first I updated SLZB-06M to latest fw and then in Z2M setup
You need to add MQTT settings to your Z2M configuration

mqtt:
  base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
  server: mqtt://core-mosquitto
  user: xxxxx
  password: xxxxxxx
serial:
  port: tcp://1xx.1x.1.xxx:6638
  adapter: ember
  rtscts: false
  baudrate: 115200
  disable_led: false

If Z2M does not work after starting the add-on, please restart Z2M

Thank you Pepe59,

Finally I am able to start the Z2M. However I managed to access the SLZB-06M browser . where I found that the instruction is to use

adapter: ezsp

I have used that in place of

ember

I am still new to this and not clear about the EZSP and EMBER. My Current core firmware version: v2.3.6 and Your current firmware revision: 20231030. I have to explore what does these means .

I am going to pair my Aqura Door sensor now . Thank you for your help.