Which Smart TRV / Radiator Valve with Home Assistant?

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a Smart TRV / Radiator Valve that work with Home Assistant in the UK?

Ideally I want it to connect directly to Home Assistant via Zigbee, without the need for any additional bridge/hub.

I can’t help you with a Zigbee TRV but I’ve been using the Danfoss Living Connect ZWave TRVs for several years with good results.

I bought them from Vesternet. Just be sure you get the Wave version as there are other networks supported.

Thanks for the reply. Zigbee is preferred though. Also, these ones look mostly discontinued.

I use these:-

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002432868660.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6b84378duaqmrD&mp=1

Work perfectly with HA, am using them with ZHA, but you do need this local quirk currently:-

https://github.com/zigpy/zha-device-handlers/files/9844752/ts0601_trv_beca.py.zip

There is a thread about compatibility here:-

Hi.
I’m in the UK and have both Aqara E1 and Hive UK7004240 TVR’s running in HA. My experience is as follows:

The Aqara E1 works out of the box with Zigbee2mqtt. I use Simple thermostat to set the temperature and Scheduler component to control it - nice and simple.

The Hive UK7004240 TVR’s are basically re-badged Danfoss Ally 014G2461 TVR’s. They work out of the box too with Zigbee2mqtt.

I personally prefer the Hive TVR’s over the the Aqara’s as they run very close to the chosen temperature settings - this is due to the very good integral PID on these devices. The Aqara’s tend to under and over run the set temperature on my heating system - YMMV

The only problem I have had with the Hive TRV’s, is for some reason my Zigbee coordinator and Zigbee2mqtt don’t like connecting directly to three or more devices at the same time - could be a bug. I have no problem connecting three Hive TVR’s via a Tradfri repeater and a Sonoff Smart plug.

3 Likes

Also in the UK, I’m wondering how to handle covered radiators, with heads near the floor. In each room I have a temperature sensor connected to the HA. Are there radiator heads on the market to which I can send the current room temperature? Or which can receive something like PID from HA, not just ON/OFF?

Hi @FalconTech

As you can see above, I have both the Aqara E1 TRV and the Hive UK7004240 TVR’s running in HA. The Hive valves are re-badged Danfoss Ally 014G2461 TVR’s. The Danfoss Ally TRV’s don’t seem to be available in the UK, I suspect they are only being marketed through Hive.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find people using an external temperature sensor with the Aqara and other valves in conjunction with ‘Better Thermostat’ see here:

I personally didn’t have much success with this setup. The room I was using it in fluctuated in temperature by +/-2 C, at best YMMV.

On the other hand, I have had a really good experience with an external temperature sensor and the Hive valves. The same room stays within 0.5 C of the setpoint. I think this is down to using an external temperature sensor and the valves inbuilt PID (Proportional Integral Derivative) controller. If you are interested in how this works, read this document:

I have setup the Hive TRV’s using Napalm’s excellent (ZHA, Zigbee2MQTT - Danfoss Ally send external temperature to TRV) Bluprint. See here for more information:

Hope you find this a useful starting point.

3 Likes

Better Thermostat is nice, but I found that it was almost too good.It kept sending new target temperatures to my TRV’s everytime the external temperature sensor changed its state.

Using the generic thermostat instead, I can control when to send a new target temperature to the TRV only when it goes below or above certain thresholds.

This reduces the amount of flash writes to the TRV’s dramatically, which will in turn, increase its operating life.

If better thermostat had something like a hot and cold tolerance like the generic thermostat, the amount of writes to the TRV would reduce dramatically.

2 Likes

I’ve just bought a hive trv myself, how did you manage to calibrate it within zigbee2mqtt?

Hi @callumgourlay

To calibrate Hive TRV’s using the Home Assistant Zigbee2MQTT add-on, do the following:

I am assuming your Hive TRV is mounted on a radiator and visible in HA. For the calibration to succeed, your heating system must be running so there is a constant supply of hot water in the system. This is necessary to allow the TRV to find the point where the valve is just starting to open.

Go to zigbee2mqtt front-end UI and select ‘Devices’, ‘friendly name’ of device you want to calibrate and select ‘Exposes’. Go to the ‘adaptation_run_control’ and select ‘initiate_adaptation’. The ‘adaptation_run_status’ should change from ‘None’ to ‘Progress’ after a few seconds. The calibration process can take up to a couple of hours. If you want a bit more background information on this , see section 1.6 in the document ‘AU417130778872en-000101.pdf 48’ I indicated above.

1 Like

Does anyone have any suggestions for a TRV which works without cloud connectivity, just as well as the Hive TRV? It seems the Hive integration relies on Hive cloud service (hivehome.com).

The specs for the Hive TRV says it uses Zigbee for connectivity so does that mean I can keep these disconnected from the internet and just use the Zigbee integration to create manual controls for the Hive TRVs?

Hi @abdullahX I use both Aqara E1 and Hive TRV’s, neither require cloud connectivity and both are Zigbee devices. I don’t use the Hive app as I find it easier to use the simple thermostat card to set temperatures and the scheduler component card to set schedules for each TRV. This setup worked without a hitch last winter, I plan to fit three more Hive TRV’s in a few weeks time.

1 Like

Hi @jao
May I know how do you control the boiler?
Smart TRVs just control the temperature of the room (or radiator), right?
How to let the boiler knows it needed to be turn on? Thanks

Hi @arnoldxt
I have a Hive Active Heating setup to control my boiler. Mainly because I want it to be reliable and continue to operate if my Home Automation goes down. I use the HACS Hive Custom integration when I want to control my heating at home and the Hive app on my phone when I’m outside my home. The Hive thermostat is used to set a base line temperature in my hall way and switches the boiler on and off.

As I explained in my previous message above, I use the Scheduler component in combination with the simple thermostat card to fine tune the heating of individual rooms via a TRV. e.g. I can determine when rooms are heated and to what temperature.

Effectively, I have two independent systems running at the same time. This gives me both reliability and independent room control.

thanks jao
Let me check if there’s any other options.
My boiler already support RF wireless control. Not sure if I can control it by raspberry pi somehow.