Which SSL Folder

I’m currently setting up SSL. Which SSL Folder should I be using for the certs?

\ssl
\etc\ssl
\root\ssl

I was using \etc\ssl initially but I seem to have had files disappear on restart in that folder! Does it matter which I use?

What method you use for install?

As far as I am aware they should be in: \ssl
Or at least that’s where mine are anyway.

1 Like

My keys are all in /etc/ssl. I don’t think it matters as long as the program or add-on configuration knows where to find the keys.

1 Like

You are probably right, I have just check but it appears some don’t allow a location of choice as my NGINX add on states the following:

Make sure that the certificate files exist in the /ssl directory.

Since you’re talking about addons below, I assume your either have an HAOS or Supervised install. Which means its probably /ssl but you aren’t really specifying how you are looking at those folders.

For reference, every addon runs in a separate docker container. This includes the SSH addon. So if you installed the SSH addon and are browsing folders over SSH using that then its definitely not /etc/ssl or /root/ssl. /etc and /root are both transient, their contents won’t survive a restart of the addon and they exist exclusively withing that container. Things put in there aren’t visible to other addons like the NGinx one. /ssl is mapped to a persistent volume shared between all containers, that’s where it should go.

If you are SSH’ing into the host then its none of those. None of those folders are mapped into addon containers so addons won’t be able to see anything you put in there. /mnt/data/supervisor/ssl is mapped to /ssl in every HA container that requests access to ssl so that’s where the cert should go.

3 Likes