Which tablet front end software to do this...?

Basically what I’m after is a way of displaying a selection of my existing sensors and inputs from my lovelace front end on my new Fire tablet.

I’ve tried HomeHabit but whilst I was impressed by the way it integrated quickly with my HA instance it looks like it’ll take quite a while and be quite a fiddly process to input everything I want on the tablet itself. Also some of the sensors I have, as far as I can see, won’t display correctly. For example I have a sensor showing the next trains to my nearest big city and that doesn’t work at all on HomeHabit. I use a custom card for this to display in lovelace so it’s no surprise it doesn’t display well on HomeHabit which obvs lacks this card.
I LIKE the way with HomeHabit a click does nothing with most sensors but with my alarm button it ‘knows’ it’s a button and I can arm/disarm from it. HOWEVER, I think the big drawback with HomeHabit is that I can’t find a way to turn it on based on motion and lock the tablet down like I can with Fully Kiosk.

Which brings me to Fully Kiosk. I like it, but it’s just showing me my normal lovelace front end. I want to ideally only display a subset of my sensors - and ideally in a more ‘tiley’ way than when I’m looking at my front end via a laptop. Is there any way to get best of both worlds? For example I don’t want any old Tom Dick or Harry to be able to disarm the alarm from my TABLET front end like I can from my normal lovelace front end but I don’t mind them seeing the status. Even cooler would be if the front end ‘knew’ when the alarm was armed and displayed something totally different than the normal “people are home” view if the alarm is armed.

I’ve been studying the great Reddit HA tablet survey but not really sure what to do. I haven’t tried Tileboard or HADashboard, ActionTiles, WallPanel or HA Client(?)

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Disclaimer: I’m part of HomeHabit team

Very happy to hear that you liked the app. So I just want to comment on few issues you mentioned in HomeHabit.

There is Remote Config Editor available, if you are up for writing JSON. The editor allows to edit dashboards in browser directly connecting locally to a tablet. That is still work in progress, and should evolve in future.

If you wish to provide some additional info (either here, support email or HomeHabit community) on what you are looking for or how custom card looks in Lovelace, I would be able to see if this is something that can be added as well.

Turn on/off based on motion or some other criteria is a highly requested feature. We are looking to add it to the app soon.

Did you try running the app in Home App mode? It should behave similar to Fully Kiosk.

That’s a very interesting idea!

The app is still in beta, so we are always looking for ways to improve experience for the users.