Which thermostat is most Home Assistant-friendly? Ecobee?

The GUI is customizable. It comes with a gallery of background images and you can even add your own.

I currently have Ecobee. Seems to work well. There is sometimes a slight off to the cloud and back delay. Not always. I do like the look of the T6 though.

Really? I thought the Ecobee looked nicer than the T6 since it has a color display. From what I can tell the T6 has a monochrome display.

I chose to separate the dongles. So it one dies well it doesn’t all die…

I used the Zooz S2 Stick 700 (ZST10 700) for zwave
The Electrolama zig-a-zig-ah! (zzh!) for zigbee.

ZigBee and Z-wave will live on for many years, especially with the speed Matter is evolving at the moment. There might have been a matter update a few days ago with lots of new device categories added, but it looks like even a smart plugs with monitoring is still not supported.

Heck, I still have operational X10’s around - they aren’t in use but I fired them up a month or two ago out of curiosity and they still worked.

That being said, @mkanet yes the T6 is monochromatic with a backlight, but it is highly configurable. Coming from a Nest with a nice color display and all of that I actually prefer this now, I can set automations to dim and brighten the backlight depending on the light level in the room which makes it highly readable. I also like that with simple displays like this you can have them on 24/7, whereas the Nest (don’t know about Ecobee) only came on when there was motion, which was super annoying.

The T6 is a solid thermostat, the Ecobee is good too, but I get what I need and an aesthetic I like out of the T6. More importantly it is 100% local, zero goes to the cloud to be sold by anyone or be problematic when the Internet goes down.

Yeah, I’m fine with a monochome interface. If I really wanted to I could just mount an old tablet running Home Assistant on the wall as a replacement for the Honeywell physical thermostat.

BTW: I still have my X10 devices too from the early 90’s; even my X10 programmer box. Home Automation has come a long way since then! I even have the old X10 Windows software for it; which I’m sure will still work.

I have the Honeywell T6 Pro Series Z-Wave and it’s been flawless. It was my first and still only Z-Wave device. I’ve so far had it in two different apartments, one that had forced air heating only and another that had radiators.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HFL7R44

I don’t really care about the interface because it’s fully automated or on rare occasions I just ask my voice assistant to adjust the temperature. It’s price is pretty reasonable (on top of the possible discount through your energy provider) too, so I highly recommend it.

1 Like

Do I add this device by pairing it to Z-Wave or via the Honeywell integration?

Z-Wave integration is what I use.

Thanks, please forgive me for asking slightly off-topic questions, what thermostat card do you use with it? It seems like all the ones I’ve seen don’t have intuitive Heat and Cool buttons except for: The SImple Thermostat card shown below:

There are some fancy-looking Thermostat cards (below) that have dials. However, I can’t tell from the screenshots how to switch between heating and cooling. I don’t see intuitive Cool and Heat buttons on them. I’m guessing my wife would most likely be just as confused at first glance.

Personally I just use the card that comes with HA, it’s easy to use and has been recently upgraded (and improved IMHO):

1 Like

Thanks. How do I change the buttons to display respective text labels Off Heat Cool? I tried, but can’t figure it out.

I like mine…

Smart Thermostat https://a.co/d/2YWUcpW

I don’t believe they show TEXT, just the button and icons. There is another HACS version of a custom thermostat that may be more configurable, personally I prefer not adding extensions when there’s something nice baked in but to each their own.

Purchased a T6 and a Zwave radio for my Yellow on the basis of this thread. I was surprised how cheap this thermostat was. Will update with results.

2 Likes

I bought my T6 with Z-Wave a couple of weeks ago. It’s rock solid. I was actually surprised how quickly I got it all up and running in the Home Assistant thermostat card. I’m very happy with my choice. No wonder so many people get this specific model for Home Assistant.

3 Likes

I just got Z-Wave working. Still waiting for the T6 to arrive. I might have to get a Z-Wave smart plug or something to extend the network to the location of the thermostat though.

Here we go. The setup was pretty trivial. The setup for the Zooz GPIO Z-Wave adapter for Yellow was trivial. Adding the T6 was trivial too. I had to install 2x Z-Wave smart plugs to extend the network from where the Yellow is to where the thermostat is. I used Leviton Z-Wave smart plugs. Finally I added the automation I wanted this whole thing for. Seems to work ™

The only downside I can see so far is that the T6 doesn’t support multi-speed fan (G1/G2/G3 wiring) so I had to choose one of the speeds while wiring and I can’t use the rest. From what I can tell Ecobee seems to be able to use G1/2/3 but I’m not ready to give up on the ethernet-independent operation T6 and Z-Wave allow to have multiple fan speeds. :laughing:

Does anyone know if there’s a (non-retail) variant of the T6 that supports multi-speed fan?

Do you mean fan alone or fan speed on heat/cool? If you mean on heat/cool, it does, W & W2, Y & Y2.