Which thermostat is most Home Assistant-friendly? Ecobee?

I mean fan speed alone. The original thermostat has G1/2/3 terminals. Depending on which wire you put 24V on, the motor activates a different fan speed. The thermostat also showed low/mid/hi fan speeds in its menu.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how to display the humidity of the T6 on the built-in Home Assistant Thermostat card? Also, is there a way to change the order of the buttons?

I have two of the Nest Learning thermostats. They replaced my Honeywell thermostats that couldn’t stay online (WiFi).

I am more than pleased with them. And because my local gas utility was offering them for $80 each, I had to try them.

BTW, they were controlling the furnace temperature before I even got the WiFi set up, so they obviously work without the Internet.

Let me also put a plug in for Venstar thermostats. I was looking to replace my three-wire Honeywell dumb thermostats that control my in-floor heating system. While researching, I found this thread and this post in particular. The T7850 was overkill for my application so I went with the T2000. The installation and setup process was a breeze, taking no more than 10 mins per thermostat start to finish. Venstar FTW!

1 Like

You should know is that Ecobee disabled remote access by Home Assistant in Spring 2024. Existing Home Assistant users can continue to use their existing Ecobee integration, but Ecobee does not allow new users to add their thermostats to Home Assistant. The Home Assistant Ecobee integration documentation has more info.

You can access Ecobee thermostats using their web portal and their “smart app”. Both of those have the typical annoyances and shortcomings.

Ecobee thermostats access a cloud server which chronically behaves as though it’s overloaded. Thus the thermostats will sometimes lose their cloud connection and fail to update for a while. Maybe this is why Ecobee forbids new Home Assistant users from connecting.

The Ecobee thermostat has an occupancy sensor which works adequately well, but its built-in air quality sensor is a joke. It’s completely untrustworthy.

Source: I have 5 Ecobee thermostats in my home.

4 Likes

FredTheFrog I do not have any of the connectivity issues you describe. I have two Ecobee 3 's installed since 2015. In that span, I’ve had to reconnect WIFI maybe twice. I’ve always used Asus routers but I changed the 2.4GHz network bandwidth from 20MHz/40MHz to 20MHz only in 2018 when I added some LIFX products. They were flaky on 20MHz/40MHz setting. Here’s another thread that discusses the same issue with Ecobee. Ecobee connectivity issue