Which version am I running and how to update?

I’m running an Ubuntu snap. I’ve just updated it to the most recent stable channel.

snap info home-assistant-snap shows: tracking: 2023.1/stable

However I’m not sure if HA has actually done the update or if I’ve just changed where to get the updates from. I installed the ‘Version’ integration and it shows:

Current version 2022.12.8

Home Assistant Versions 2023.2.5

So, 3 different versions being displayed. Which one is the actual version I’m running and how do I update to the latest version?

You will see the Home Assistant version under Settings > About.

Right now, 2023.2.5 is the latest version.

Where are you seen the other version numbers?

2 Likes

Settings → About

As I said, from the snap info and from the ‘Version’ integration. Not sure what the integration actually does and ‘Version’ is such a generic word so haven’t been able to find any info searching for it.

Anyway, thanks. Settings → About shows ‘Home Assistant 2022.12.8’ so that corresponds to the ‘Version’ integration. I assume the ‘Home Assistant Versions 2023.2.5’ is showing the latest available version.

So having set the snap channel, how do i actually get it to do the update?

The Ubuntu snap is not an official or supported installation method so I have no idea.

Official installation methods are listed here: Installation - Home Assistant

Hi @Rob190,

To force an update you can do a sudo snap refresh home-assistant-snap, however that requires a release/update in the channel/track that you are tracking.

The channel/track latest/stable typically contains the latest version, but that doesn’t give you control over updates. It will auto-update and things can brake.

That’s why we have tracks for each month (major) release, e.g 2023.1. We don’t create tracks for minor releases as they shouldn’t bring any braking changes.

That’s why newly installed snap of HA always track the latest available channel/track, and not latest/stable.

The updater integration bundled with the snap is checking for new tracks, so you can manually do the switch when releases in newer tracks are available.

It should tell you which track you can upgrade to, and you should be able to make an automation on its sensors to send yourself a notification when an update is available.

To change track, use snap switch, e.g

sudo snap switch home-assistant-snap --channel=2023.1/stable

and do a snap refresh to update immediately.

1 Like

Thanks. That works.

I’m puzzled why snaps aren’t officially supported given that Canonical seems to be pushing everyone to use them.