Which washing machines are recommended with HA?

Matter can be local, but some devices are having a crypto certificate and that one will be verified against a blockchain, which Google download from a server, but you could dow load it from a water number of servers beforehand and be totally local.

+1 for this solution, that’s how I did it too.

Unless it’s easy to find multiple models/brand that can integrate well, my first goal would be to get a good washing machine for the price and not whether how it integrates with HA.
But that’s my opinion.

That sort of implies that it can have cloud dependencies, too. I guess time will tell whether manufacturers go the cloud route or local, as more devices come to market.

My concern is that, from the manufacturer’s perspective, a cloud solution is much easier to support, and to use as a revenue stream. I don’t think HA users are their target demographic.

Well, you can choose to download the DLC blockchain or get it from one of the many servers that host it.
It is not vendor-locked.
The blockchain contains the keys to verify Matter certified products.

If all you ever need is to know when it’s done then sure.
But best solution, no. Not close.
It’s like saying you don’t need an alarm, a picture of a dog is the best solution.

There are so many sensors you get from a smart washing machine that your power monitor doesn’t.
And you (most likely) can’t turn the machine on remotely.

Admittedly there are a few sensors I would want them to enable so that they are accessible from the API but what you get is far from a standard power meeter setup.

I suppose we all have different requirements. For me, it would be enough to know when the washer is done. Knowing the power consumed would be handy, but not necessary. I can’t imagine using remote start very much. If I were gone for more than a day, I wouldn’t put clothes in the washer in the first place.

Frankly, I’m getting by just fine without a “done” reminder now. Back in my younger days it would have been real handy on the commercial machines at the laundromat. I’d put the clothes in, then go across the street to the pub to wait there. For some reason I didn’t always get back in time.

As a few posters upthread have said, the LG integration works fine; I have been using it for years at this point. But it is cloud-based, so not ideal.

And LG seems to change their terms and conditions of use routinely. When they do that, the API stops working until you use the smartphone app and agree to the updated terms. In the meantime, your washer/dryer will show as unavailable.

1 Like

We fill up the machine in the morning, enable remote start and start it so that t’s done when we get home.
That way the machine has been going during the day when it’s cheapest to run it.
It’s not every day we do this but at least once a week.

@wixoff you are probably never going to see a local washing machine.
There is pretty much no market for that.

My washing machine is smart-ass. It thinks that all those 20 programs are designed perfect for my use. So I can’t choose my combination of time/temp/centrifuge/rinse cycles/half/full load etc.
If I want 60 degrees and max rpm centrifuge, there is only one program that has that and it is 1.5 hours fixed. Shorter programs don’t let me adjust centrifuge to max

If you know a smart washer, that I can completely design my own programs, I’m in!

2 Likes

You mean like this?

The images above are the options for a cotton program.
The image with blood and grease and such are additional programs.
Not sure how that works, have never used it.

Can you adjust everything in the program? I mean without limits. Then I’m interested.
I would prefer that there’s custom program mode to build programs and save them for next use.

Now that makes sense to me! Our utility doesn’t do time-of-use rates, but if they did I’d be wanting the remote start feature, too.

That’s my biggest complaint with the newer washers. They’re too “smart” but at the same time the programs are very poorly (stupidly?) designed.

Wow. That is an improvement. I wish I could re-program the whole thing so it doesn’t do stupid things like try to pump out water that’s not there, and lock me out while it does so.

Not sure exactly what you mean but all the above can be changed.
I can’t make it do the rinse part first if that is what you are talking about.
[Edit] actually I can. It’s called prewash and is an option. [/Edit]
It still has its base.
There is one program called “:star:memory1”, not sure what that does but I can’t select it.

It weighs the load we put in and dispenses detergent according to the load size.
If we only have half load then it will still take the same time, but we can use the speed button and it will be about half the time.

Speaking of this

That is my favorite feature.
It has a pause button, might not sound like much but it unlocks the door also.
This means if you start the machine and then you realize you forgot something you can just pause and open the door.
You can do this anytime during the program, although it doesn’t make much sense after 30-60 min.
You don’t really want to throw in dirty clothes when it has gone that far.

If you have rooftop solar this is also a benefit. I set a delay on my dishwasher to come on during the middle of the day (when I’m at work) when I know there will be plenty of solar power to cover it’s usage.

1 Like

We always start our dishwasher in the middle of the night when it’s usually cheaper.
But if the night is more expensive than daytime then we just start it during the day.

I started our washing machine today also on timer to be done when we get home.
The price during the day is 0.2 per KWh, and of we would do as everyone else and start it when we get home we would have it running in the high peaks where the price is 1.6, 2.3 and 2.9. So the price of running the same wash would be about 10-15 times higher.

1 Like

I have Shelly EM sensing the excess solar. Then Esphome circuit gets that from Shelly and regulates water heater power according to excess,

Of course it can be interesting to control your washing machine/dishwasher to run when price is low/not much appliances running/excess solar power/

Companies are jumping on the bandwagon to make their devices smart because think/know that the customer wants that and pays for it, which is how the market works.
If you don’t mind going along with that trend, OK too and if you don’t mind cloud dependency: it’s your decision.

I don’t know if there are many choices to buy dumb washing machines/dishwashers and it can be nice to have a machine as @Hellis81 is showing but what’s the benefit of being able to control all that?
If you load a machine with laundry you set the right program for that batch.
A smart plug can start the cycle (manually or automated) and can notice you when done on the HA companion app at home or on the road → 1 app, no cloud dependency or even better no proprietary 3rd party.

But it’s all about preferences

Most devices don’t start because you give it power again.

As I stated before, I lower the price of the load by at least tenfold. But if you have a machine that resumes it’s program when you give it power then sure that is equal.
But also starting the dehumidifier automatically when the load needs to hang dry is a nice quality of life improvement.
Not that it’s needed. You can manage without this but it does mean I can cut power to the dehumidifier completely and only run it when it’s actually needed.
If I used the hygrostat in the dehumidifier then I would have to choose between having it “fight the weather” and run every time the humidity rises, or set the humidity level higher, but then it doesn’t dry the clothes completely.
As I have it now it takes a reading when the machine is done, this is the target value.
So if the base humidity in the room is 40 % then that is the target to reach, if it’s raining outside then the base humidity might be 50% and that is where it will bring the humidity level to.
Yes you can do all this manually too but I guess we are all here because we all do automations.

Good point! :+1:
Luckily no problem here.

Of course when you have a combo/more sophisticated machine, being able to control this can be handy.

Mine has that too, but the window when it allows you to pause is very short. It’s a front-loader, so it locks the door for almost the entire cycle. And then for 10-15 seconds after, just to add some user frustration I guess. I honestly think whoever coded this thing has a mean streak. And I can guarantee you they’ve never washed a load of laundry in their life.

Also, the water level sensor has a history of poor reliability, so the washer often “thinks” there’s water in the machine when there isn’t. It’ll run the pump dry for up to 20 minutes, without unlocking the door. Ironically, even when “full,” the washer is so stingy with water that the level doesn’t come up to the bottom of the door. If it weren’t for the lock, I could open the door mid-cycle and no water would come out.

I wish I could reprogram the whole thing. I’m seriously thinking about disabling the door lock.