Which zigbee smart outlet that will act as a repeater too?

i bought this Seedan smart zigbee plug to be used as a repeater. sadly it refuses to work as a repeater. not sure if that’s because im using Zig2mqtt or not. can someone confirm this is not because of Z2M???
anyway, which smart plug would you recommend to use and for sure acts a repeater too with Z2M?

here is my z2m map.
i have a washing machine on the 3rd floor so it’s critical i monitor its water leak status. when i added the leak sensor, i was expecting it to link to the Plug 3rd, on the third floor too. but instead it only found the coordinator on the 1st floor. i also have another zig plug on the 2nd floor. but as you can see, none of the Seedan plugs act as a repeater. :frowning:

Link took me to US plug, so assume thats what you need.

Sonoff S31 Lite https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PSKRSP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_5PZ3MX32TJJ35J48KB1D

Or if you want basic power monitoring:
Sengled https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FJ5LHSN/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_H5DJ64MDDGX1GKTY5Q3E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am bit confused by ‘meshing’ your statement with the picture. The picture appears to show the plugs acting as routers, just not to your water sensor. Have you tried to remove the water sensor from the network, reset it, and then (important here) add it back VIA one of the plugs? Take the battery of the water sensor, do the specific zigbee2mqtt ‘permit join on that plug’. Then right next to that plug put the battery back in and press whatever function needed to get the water sensor to join a zigbee network. Keep the water sensor next to the plug the whole time.

Some end devices do have issues with working with some routers, Aqara are very known for this. So issue might be your water sensor, more than the plug. But unfortunately you have got to get devices that play nicely in each role. Rather frustrating, especially with the exploding number of devices coming on the market.

1 Like

@dproffer is correct, those outlets are repeating. As do just about every other line powered Zigbee device EXCEPT Sengled smart bulbs because Sengled made the decision not to for specific reasons)

The decision on which parent goes at join time. It basically comes down to who responds first. If the coordinator is in range and responds first… pop - there you go. It will connect to the coordinator instead of the plug.

There is a possibility that if you can get the sensor to go into panic mode (by losing track of its parent for 20 min - turn off the coordinator, leave the plugs online.) it MIGHT switch to the next parent that answers - hopefully the plug.

BUT the end of the day - because humans cannot and should not try to micromanage the Zigbee routes. It only matters if it’s not working. (You say it’s critical - and I agree leak detection is pretty important - but you didn’t mention that it is not working) If the sensor works reliably right now, I’d ignore it and find another problem to solve.

1 Like

So generally all devices that can plug into a wall work as a router with very few exceptions. Now I can’t speak to your particular device but I will note that you seem to be making some assumptions about how a zigbee network works that I don’t believe are true. Like that zigbee traffic will be routed through the plug simply because it is on the same floor.

My understanding of zigbee devices is that you have little to no say in how a device picks its parent and the route it uses to get messages back to the coordinator. The devices pick a route when you connect them. If you don’t like the route they picked for whatever reason then you can force them to recalculate by unplugging things but that’s about it.

That being said, you also shouldn’t overreact to an initial map. Zigbee networks are supposed to be self-optimizing. So even if your device picked a suboptimal route initially it should fix itself over time. So wait like 24-48 hours before digging into performance problems if that’s what you are having.

Also keep in mind the route may not be what you expect. Just because the plug is on the same floor doesn’t actually mean its the optimal route. There’s a lot of factors at play here (building materials, radio interference, device radios, etc.) and perhaps those devices have a better connection with the coordinator then the plug even though its two floors down.

1 Like

I use the CMARS/Seedan outlets all over my house - never really thought about them - and didn’t have much problems. I also have XCTU running on an XBee USB device so I can monitor and see my net. Recently completed a complete mapping and was very surprised - the CMARS/Ewelink/Seedan units I have - ALL report port LQI numbers!
I only discovered this today. I have heard that Tuya has a proprietary network in addition to the Zigbee, and pretty sure these units are NOT Zigbee 3.0 so theres that. But I now suspect my outlets as not being as valuable as I original expected (I just put one in every room assuming it would strengthen my mesh).