Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

Agreed, which is exactly why I didnā€™t want to tag anyone. I figured that person is already part of this thread and that theyā€™d get the hint I was referring to them.

Where this request lies in their list of priorities is up to them, no pressure at all.

1 Like

So this is weirdā€¦
Does anyone else see the edit tag on this post?

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/moved-no-longer-have-qr-code-for-plugs-where-to-find/716704

They posted it as a community guide, I move it to hardware, but I still see the edit button. I didnā€™t refresh browser, but went to different post and reloaded this one and can still edit itā€¦

Since I popped in without editing anything it shows an edit, thatā€™s normal, but that was after I changed the category.

Yep, edit wiki

Same here.

I guess something to keep in mind, once a wiki, always a wiki whatever topic you move it to.

Finally thought of making a contribution to the cookbook wiki
:face_holding_back_tears:

8 Likes

Did you add into the index?

yes i did, it is in :grin:

1 Like

Holyā€¦ Justā€¦ Wow. Lol

I had ignored this thread when it began, but for some reason tonight I decided to read it. All of it. Canā€™t decide if I regret that or not, butā€¦ Lol

I agree that the documentation needs help. I donā€™t say that because it frustrates me (though at times, it has), but rather I say that because the frustration of others is evident in their posts and language. Most frustrating is that apparently the devs did not have the same CS professor that I did (not surprising since Iā€™m pretty sure they are in a different country). On day 1 of CS121 she said ā€œwhen you write your documentation, pretend you are explaining to your grandmother how to use your softwareā€. Even though Iā€™m not a full-time developer by trade, for the handful of things I have written, and for the internal technical documentation I author, that sentiment has always stuck with me.

Someone mentioned videos - I already took up that mantle. There are lots and lots of ā€œentertainmentā€ YouTube channels about smart home stuff, or channels about ā€œlook at this neat thing I made my house do, hereā€™s a 20,000 foot view of how I did it (and then never actually showing the code or the automation or the config)ā€, so I started my own channel. I have over 50 technical videos published, and I show all the code and explain everything as best as I can. If someone is looking for how to do something, give it a look. Itā€™s clearly not ALL there, but thereā€™s a good amount, and I add to it regularly. I do also take requests, so thereā€™s that.

With regards to the ā€œregularsā€ giving up on helping the noobs, I find the problem to be the same in nearly every case, regardless the topic.

The ā€œold guardā€ gives answers. The new hotshots that think they know better and like to have the loudest voice in the room chime in, loudly, oft with inferior (or flat out incorrect) information. The old guard gets tired of trying to not only educate the new users, but also tires of having to ā€œdefendā€ themselves from the never ending barrage of nonsense from the mouthy ones, so they just give up and stop participating. This is not only a great loss to whatever community it happens to, but it also ensures that future generations of participants will be much worse off than their predecessors since now they are only able to gather their information from the lesser-knowledgeable (but louder) cohort. The cycle repeats, and you end up with idiocracy being a documentary.

Overall, this has been a very interesting read. The thought that keep reverberating in my head as I read a lot of this is that there was a post some time ago around new users and struggles and barriers to larger market acceptance/penetration, and I remarked about how the documentation and support structure wasnā€™t what the ā€œaverage Joeā€ would require, and I recall being poo-pooā€™d, with the sentiment basically boiling down to something akin to ā€œthis is a project by nerds, for nerdsā€. I think. That was many moons (and many whiskeys) ago.

2 Likes

A lot of what you read here was venting. Best to get it out of our system here than when helping someoneā€¦ Ideally this would be ā€˜some place elseā€™.

Beyond that was the genesis of the cookbook and where that came from.

1 Like

Always wanted to ask a youtuber this - what steps do you take to make it clear that a video is out of date - and to point to a replacement or alternative, up to date, howto? (It seems that some donā€™t, and we get people following digital bit rot and complaining that the ā€œdocumentationā€ is wrong.)

2 Likes

Iā€™ve taken to including the year after the video title, and if I make an updated video, I edit the description of the prior video(s) to direct users to the new one. Thereā€™s not really a whole lot else that can be done since modification of a video isnā€™t possible once itā€™s been uploaded, unfortunatelyā€¦

3 Likes

Ive seen this - much appreciated. Wish others did as well. Yes sure most viewers donā€™t actually note the dateā€¦ But at. Least the effort is there.

1 Like

Very true. You have no idea how many comments I get about ā€œthis video is useless. That version of home assistant is 2 years old!ā€ me: did you read the description? Them: ā€¦

2 Likes

That was indeed one of the reasons to start this thread, and was about to stop, or at least lessen a bitā€¦.

1 Like

Just wondering if it is a good idea to write a cookbook on how to convert a blueprint into an automation :thinking:

I do that occasionally, as it easier then adept the blueprint for my own needs :grin:

You do that because you want control and can write your own. Once you advance to that point you donā€™t need a tutorial.
Itā€™s hard enough for me to support newbees using code that I know. I donā€™t look forward to them coming back to me to fix code that they tweaked (probably with chatGPT).

Itā€™s like adding one on how to mount an internal drive to HA. I feel like they need to know enough about the subject and have enough interest in it before I show them how to hack in the the HAOS and haxk things. So no, Iā€™m not writing that one.

We do need to follow up on the one about importing files, though.

1 Like

Yep, if a blueprint does most of what I need, you can bet your donkey Iā€™ll be tweaking it instead of starting from scratch.

Work smarter, not harder.

2 Likes

I use most of my own BPā€™s, so when they break I fix them. Got one ā€˜brokenā€™ now I should be working on.

Random thought #42423.

Can we have a ā€œNecropostā€ award?

It behaves just like a badge, but itā€™s attached immediately to your profile as proof you didnā€™t bother to search or read the pinned post. Awarded when when you reply to a post whose last reply is >1 year old.

Further suggestions:

• ā€œRosetta Stoneā€ - Awarded for not posting in English.
  • ā€œWords are hardā€ - Awarded when posting images of code (or when clear step by step instructions are not enough and you need a picture to show you where to click).
  • ā€œSherlockā€ - Awarded when creating a topic with barely any info.
  • ā€œImpatientā€ - Awarded when bumping your own post <24hours since creation.
  • ā€œAttention Seekerā€ - Awarded when bumping your own post <12hours since creation.
  • ā€œVisionaryā€ - Awarded when creating a FR for stuff you barely grasp. eg. Nasa is using this technology, so HA should integrate it.
  • ā€œForward Thinkerā€ - Awarded when creating a FR for products which are still in preorder stage across most of the world.
  • ā€œTerminatorā€ - Awarded when blindly posting something created by ChatGPT.
  • ā€œVerboseā€ - Awarded when your post (including title) exceeds 1000 words.
  • ā€œSmileyā€ - Awarded when using 5 or more emoji in a single post.

All the above are based on actual posts Iā€™ve come across in the past couple of days. I obviously canā€™t link any, but do let me know by way of like if you managed to find at least one instance of each.

6 Likes