Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

Or ā€œcrystal ballā€

Something that annoyed me today was a post in perfect English apart from the screenshots which were in another language and therefore incomprehensible. Hard to know how to deal with that one.

4 Likes

Barely anything is relevant after a year. Just wait till you find the post where they also demand the original title is changed.

1 Like

I might have spotted that too. I understood enough of his language to grasp what he was doing, so it didnā€™t bother me as much.

But, yeah, just like automations, we all have our triggers.

1 Like

These might be difficult, at least to have automatic - I know I have in the past replied to my own post within a few hours, but it was because after posting I kept digging and eventually solved my own issue. I then replied to my own post stating the solution. So does that make me deserving of the ā€œAttention Seekerā€ badge?

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen a few of those, and honestly, I think the ā€œSelf Reliantā€ badge should be created for those instances. Youā€™re technically not ā€œbumpingā€ your own thread so much as solving your own issue.

@ShadowFist For your list!
ā€œSelf Reliantā€ - Awarded for getting yourself out of trouble all on your own :rofl:

2 Likes

No. The above are negative badges and just me being my usual sarcastic self.
Solving your own issue AND bothering to post a solution should earn you an actual badge.

Maybe we should add a badge for abandoning your post after people try to help you. That one would be popular!

4 Likes

Damnā€¦ fair pointā€¦ and wait, youā€™re sarcastic? :wink: I tend to tone my sarcasm WAY down on the forums (or risk some permaban lol).

ā€œI Donā€™t Need Youā€ - awarded for abandoning your post after getting help
ā€œLong Time, No Seeā€ - awarded for not responding to help for more than 7 days with a ā€œthat didnā€™t workā€ remark

1 Like

Yeah ā€œI posted, I got replies but I never acknowledged the help, I then went on Reddit and told the world how useless home assistant and itā€™s forums areā€

5 Likes

Can I like this multiple times please???

1 Like

ā€œDoubting Thomasā€ (aka ā€œIndignant Disbeliefā€) - awarded for questioning why something has not been done before when it actually has.

5 Likes

ā€œGhost clickerā€.

When you respond helpfully to a post, with links to the docs, GitHub and other posts from people who have solved a similar problem.

Then you come back a week later and find that not one of the links has been clicked on.

3 Likes

A few days ago someone necroed multiple 2+ year old posts basically just to say ā€œThis old way of doing something still works even though it was removed from the doc in 2021, please donā€™t remove itā€. I donā€™t know why it annoyed me so muchā€¦

There was a post today where the OP has been a forum member since 2018 but had less than 8 hours of read timeā€¦ I donā€™t know what that would be called, but I feel like it deserves a sarcastic badge.

1 Like

ā€œPlaceholderā€ - Who actually needs to read the forums? :rofl:

1 Like

I was sure Iā€™d posted this on the forum before but cant find it searching my posts:

5 Likes

It could have been me :slight_smile: (light as switch in yaml?)

yep, still an issue.

what is the name of the award for when an op gets the answer from someone but then post a summary or their final yaml using the answer and marks their own post as the solution?

4 Likes

that one might be called ā€œarmedadā€ā€¦ I created my account long ago. read it one day and forgot about it until about 4 months agoā€¦ oopsā€¦

OMG donā€™t even get me started on people using chatgpt to ā€œwrite codeā€.

Customer: can you help me with this terraform code? I canā€™t seem to get it to do what itā€™s supposed to do.
Me, looking at code: this doesnā€™t really make a great deal of sense. Did you write this?
Customer: no, I got it from chatgpt
Me: the hourly rate for this engagement has just doubled.
Customer: ā€¦

2 Likes

Someone told me that a few days ago, I told them to throw it away because even if I helped them fix it, the next time it broke they would have had no clue.
They decided that actually converting the automation by hand would give them the knowledge needed to fix it. I offered any help needed if they came back with something written by them.

2 Likes

In other forums Iā€™ve seen the Regular badge get you the ability to mark a response as the solution to a question. Iā€™ve seen stuff like this numerous times or where thereā€™s a post with the solution, and the OP agrees it fixes their problem, but no post is marked as a solution for the next person.

1 Like