Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

My youngest family member is 3 :thinking:
:rofl:

1 Like

Feels like weā€™re getting more and more closer to that Age-Group, with humongous Buttons, Default huge ā€œPaddings / gapsā€, Filling up with 50% white-space
Well, i guess i will benefit from from this , when i reach the age of 99, needs +7 Glasses, and have beginning parkinsonā€™s disease

To go back to the original post (sort of)ā€¦

One reason why people often ask the same question is because the answers they are getting are to slightly different questions.

There was an example this morning. A newcomer to HA had two sensible queries:

• Are PIR motion sensors reliable in the kitchen, where there are multiple heat sources?
  • How do I manage turning off the lights.

The answers were ā€œYesā€ and ā€œLook at this cookbook postā€, but the thread quickly morphed into a discussion of hardware.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with this - the author of the post got the answers he wanted (not the right ones IMHO, but stillā€¦) and useful information was exchanged - but it does highlight how inefficient forums are as a reference source.

Theyā€™re more like a sea you have to swim in for a while to get your bearings.

1 Like

We have a guide for asking questions. Perhaps we need a guide for answering questions?

2 Likes

The #1 rule is donā€™t use AI.
#2 donā€™t recommend a YT video unless you have watched it yourself recently and know itā€™s correct.
(Especially that one Chris just did calling everything in HACS Add-onsā€¦)
#3 If you donā€™t know the answer tell the OP itā€™s your best guess, may want more input.

2 Likes

:rofl:

I try to make it a habit to state when something is my opinion or Iā€™m not completely sure for the very reason that I donā€™t want someone to come back and say ā€œbut Bill said itā€™s true!!!ā€

But Iā€™d like to add a #4: When youā€™re wrong, change your post to include that you were wrong. For a long time, Iā€™ve seen people say something completely wrong, get called out on it, and then be like ā€œwhat? I never said that!!!ā€. Speaking from experience, it just happened to me just the other day. lol

2 Likes

Some people edit their posts to strike through the bits that are wrong - excellent idea.

3 Likes

Before we beginā€¦

This forum is not a soapbox

The people here donā€™t work for Home Assistant, thatā€™s an open source project. We are volunteering our free time to help others. We donā€™t have to read your rantsā€¦

2 Likes

You put that in, and there a a few people I know that will rant on it just becauseā€¦
Including a person I know just came back from a month or so ban for being an ass.

People that will do that if they read that will take it on as a challenge.

If someone starts ranting on you, get a MOD and back awayā€¦

And donā€™t be shy to flag something thatā€™s a dup FR, a pointless rant, anything against COC. I was busy all day until about 3pm and have flagged 2 things since then.
They donā€™t always agree, but they listen and if they think something should be done, they do it.

2 Likes

100% correctā€¦ although some of those rant threads are pretty funnyā€¦ especially when the OP gets answers they donā€™t like and keep fighting back until they get an answer they like.

1 Like

You saw that one yesterday, too?

2 Likes

Oh I didā€¦ I refused to chime in on it, but I was sitting here laughing like ā€œdudeā€¦ take the hint already!ā€ lol

Which one, which one?

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/can-a-nested-automation-trace-the-original-trigger-event/707653

He was trying to manually trigger automations that had dummy triggers because scripts were too hard or unstable or something, so he wrote multiple of these automatons because a single automation was unwieldy. And it took multiple NOā€™s for it to finally register.

3 Likes

And the attention of not one, but two modsā€¦ lol

Getting back to possible guidelines for answering questionsā€¦

If Iā€™m going to answer or get involved, I try to stick to facts, options, and questions.

I try to avoid stating: ā€œyou should doā€¦ā€ and instead say: ā€œWhat has worked for meā€¦ā€ or ā€œI have found that x,y,zā€¦ā€ or ā€œI would tryā€¦ā€

I am also ok stepping back if someone else wants to jump in or the OP isnā€™t getting it (I can be more of a problem then helpful :slightly_smiling_face:)

And Iā€™m ok pushing back on, or flagging, misinformation, rants, or worthless opinions but this can be tricky.

4 Likes

How to help us help them - or How to give a good answer

Before we beginā€¦

This forum is not a soapbox

You donā€™t work for Home Assistant, thatā€™s an open source project. You are volunteering your free time to help others. You donā€™t have to respond to their rantsā€¦

Moved this post to Community guides, since this thread seems to have gone off on a tangent.

Still a wiki - keep on adding to it! :grin:

5 Likes

I must admit, sometimes I rag on the ranters when Iā€™m in the moodā€¦ kinda for sport. I donā€™t get offended by them and I have no illusions that I will convince them of anythingā€¦ bad me. no scooby snacks.

1 Like

Was being edited, wanted to add this

:one::one: Donā€™t be afraid to back off, go silent & get a MOD involved

If you are offended, or the COC or other policy is violated, click the flag button. Thatā€™s what itā€™s for.

1 Like