Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) 🤷

No, but you can edit that post above if you want to…
It will make you feel better.
Draw an ascii flag in it or something, or a stick tongue out emoji maybe.

3 Likes

Touche! I also just learnt you can flag your own posts today thanks to you. Have a like - you deserve it

2 Likes

Wow, I see it, but not on every post. There must be some additional rules, it seems.

I generally avoid editing other peoples posts except to put them in the correct category or hide sensitive information.

Feel free to help out with this.

2 Likes

Agreed, I wouldn’t feel very comfortable doing that. I’m surprised that such an ability isn’t available to mods and admins only.

Regulars can add the WIKI state to our own posts. That’s it.

2 Likes

I missed this. The edit option makes more sense now.

It worked!1!!!1!!

Wrong topic, maybe?

Saw this post from Tom

" You should read this advice about avoiding device ids too: Why and how to avoid device_ids in automations and scripts"

If that’s the advice why then does the automation editor make it soooo easy to do the wrong thing?

2 Likes

More than that. It’s a “great way to start”, apparently. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Because the ‘D’ comes before the ‘E’ :thinking:

That REALLY sucs, but that’s not the worst of it…

You know there are entity_id’s (traditional), but now there are entity_id’s that are connected to Device_id’s that are the different but the same in theory. There are also entry_id’s that have something to do with entity_id’s naming, unique_id, or some mix of the 2. I don’t know but I suspect entry_id’s are connected to both flavors or entity_id’s which we are supposed to pretend are only 1 flavor but are not.

Be wary wary careful if it’s an entity_id or an entry_id.

Use names in automations/scripts for device/entity ID.

So why are device_id’s favored? Because the architecture team wants them to be favored.

I think there’s an FR to not have the device stuff favored and first on the list of options, but I couldn’t find it.

2 Likes

Ranting here because this seems to be the direction this thread is headed.

I still can’t understand the switch to “friendly” names in automations.

I mean - we’re all used to referring to triggers, conditions and actions. They’re even right there in the yaml, but if you post an automation for anyone to use, now your brain needs to map trigger, condition and action to “When”, “And if” and “Then Do” respectively.

It’s confusing enough for those who are used to the Front end matching the code. I honestly doubt it’ll help anyone who is just starting out and has been given a yaml file to work with.

1 Like

I think it was a good “attempt” to help “beginners”, Howvere they should have kept, the ( Trigger / Condition / Action ) in parentheses , so Beginners learn what it means, instead of trying to “invent a new formula” , which doesn’t exist outside HA UI

EDIT: Well it’s actually there, below, i just noticed :laughing:

However a Trigger can be both When/If, a Condition can also be And IF/When , And it get even worse when people comes to Action ( IF / When )

" If/when " motion is detected , “when/if” it’s dark outside, i want the the light to turn on, but only “if/When” there is someone home "

“If/when” Someone is Home, i want the light to turn on, “When/if” motion is detected, and only “if/when” it’s dark outside

“If/when” it’s dark outside , i want the light to turn on, “if/when” someone is home, And “if/when” motion is detected

A Very common Question, which can “variate” depending upon peoples mind, and the “preferences”

Device should go in “Other Triggers” . :confounded:

3 Likes

Device should go under “R”, for recycle bin. It’s one thing to make stuff simplified for beginners (who still won’t read the docs) - it’s another matter entirely when you alienate or confuse most of your existing userbase in order to cater for the lowest denominator.

I’ve said this to myself over the past year - “HA is prioritizing accessibility to my family members who still have no idea how it all works, while at the same time doing its best to complicate stuff for me, the main user”

Rant over.

3 Likes

It doesn’t help that the device concept is extremely fuzzy.

When I select Device to make a trigger in the UI, the first item in the dropdown list is ZHA Toolkit (it comes first because there’s a symbol at the beginning of the name). Next is Alarmo, which is, I suppose, a virtual device created by an integration. Next we have ArgonOne, which is an add-on, followed by Average Sensor, which is a HACS integration.

You can now create your own devices and put any entities you like into them (Device Tools from HACS).

This is supposed to be easier?

I hate this as well, but as someone that doesn’t use the ui very often it’s not horrible. I say that because I have interacted with people that this ‘plain’ language has helped them get passed that first barrier, so I ill give that slack.

My go to has always been the UI first and foremost. It allows me to gauge how really user friendly HA is while showing me everything on (mostly) a single screen without having to keep track of indentations.

I’ve occasionally been switching to yaml whenever there’s any duplicate stuff within the automation (copy & paste is much easier there), and the context switch is really jarring, at least to me personally.