Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) 🤷

Let’s ask the moderators…

Can we have a new Cookbook category, with the first post editable by anybody, as with Community Guides?

Posts would contain clear practical examples of how to do specific, simple things (as in the example mentioned earlier). Unlike YouTube videos, they could be updated, or removed.

1 Like

Why do we need another category?

This is what the Community Guides category is for, not just weird installation methods.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Cookbook added to tag list. :grin:

I always search from google first, and ALWAYS ignore the reddit answers.
Wish I could block reddit responses, honestly.

2 Likes

It’s only my opinion. I have brought this to the team’s attention.

My thought is if you want better community guides, write them…
If there are some posts out there that should be a community post, change it.
If the tag ‘cookbook’ helps, add it to posts. Many of you are Regulars, it is well within your power or you can poke at one of us who are and we can help.

What the forums really need it a category that is limited to lvl 3 and up where we can pop up a topic (like this one) and discuss these kind of things. I have asked officially and a decision has not been made yet, but that would be helpful when we see things that we are not sure about and want to get a group opinion or have an idea and want to float it out there.

Regarding the actual title of this topic, there may be an answer. I have helped numerous people fix the canned blueprint for motion ligtht. Many start there. I believe if we fixed that to have a user based condition selector and maybe a couple of other things it would actually do things like light on and off like they are asking, We can then just tell them to use the BP…

3 Likes

I use duckduckgo with this syntax:

Keyword/s site:https://community.home-assistant.io/

I also have duckduckgo setup to open links in a new tab so the results remain molested.

1 Like

My google way also sees the actual HA docs which is the other thing I look at for answers to others questions, but I see with that it is also possible. I might try it.

What about just using -reddit in the search?

I use https://www.startpage.com/ as google was giving me the shits with constant capcha prompts because I use a VPN.

2 Likes

That works. the site: thing works in google as well to either search only or with a -site: to exclude a site.

I might make a copy/paste thing on my desktop to plaster that in every time.

This works like a champ on google. gets the forum and the docs and none of the reddit / ‘buy this’ / ‘look at my youtube out of data videos’ stuff.

site:home-assistant.io search-terms-here

Thanks @SCClockDr

If you use firefox there’s a right-click context menu extension for custom searches, Selection Context Search – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-GB)

How about doing a short one (tag cookbook) on searching the documentation/forum? :grin:

1 Like

the embed block of goodness… :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s not the first time you’ve attempted something I said seem ridiculous. What I said wasn’t at all unreasonable. I also admitted that the UI did in fact change to accommodate misunderstandings.

Can you come up with an everyday (colloquial) example where the word condition is used to constitute something in the future (without using a future tense)? Just one.

Making assumptions isn’t an excuse for ignorance.

while i agree with you that “condition” is a reasonable term, the issue is that it, as well as other aspects of the ui can be misinterpreted.

now, while chatgpt has a ton of flaws, by nature of it’s ml, it does capture a lot of common sentiment of a broad spectrum of people. and what’s particularly good about it’s mistakes is that it’s mistakes reflect the common mistaken understandings of a large set of people (or the data its trained on).

“when specific criteria meet predefined conditions, then execute designated actions” is totally a reasonable use of the ‘condition’ and i believe that’s what a lot of people have in their had.

I’m not trying to make anyone or anything look ridiculous. Sorry if it seems that way.

No, I don’t think conditions are ever seen as future, nor did any one imply that. So in a way you are proving my point, because all the posters said is that they could be misunderstood. You gave it an interpretation of time misinterpretation, which was not what was said.

Triggers are wrongly seen as conditions though. I think that is aggravated because they are now referred to as “when”, and conditions as “if”, which some will consider synonymous, and even more so when translated to in my case Dutch. That triggers are also like conditions is a mistake that is made not once, but all the time.

The proliferation of repetitive posts is partially due to the very loose moderation here. If it was a bit tighter, like some forums, the repetitive posts would be locked and then deleted.

That would make searching easier too.

I have moderated on the Kodi forums. I was surprised when I got on this forum.

5 Likes

:+1:

Then we agree, yes, but it was said – multiple times (albeit not by you). Remember I was quoting somebody else at the time. I’ll quote another part from the same paragraph:

That, to me, implied, a future event. It seems aceindy and Taras shares this sentiment:

Anyway, we’re on the same page. I was just explaining my line of thought.

This reverse situation is even more bizarre to me.

Yes, agreed: Many people use “when” and “if” interchangably. I personally don’t – or at least try to. “When I get home” and “if I get home” has two very different meanings to me, but I might be too pedantic (I’m not a native English speaker, though I grew up with it as a second language). In my home language, Afrikaans, which is related to Dutch, we have “wanneer” for “when” and “as” for “if”. People interchange them in that case too, but there too it will bother me.

2 Likes

So, you’re saying our mods are quite nice and tolerant people? :wink:

I see FRs are being clamped down pretty quickly, usually.