Why buy energy monitor devices -- Use data from Smartmeter!

I am getting a “Failed to connect” error when attempting to setup the integration for BGE. I have 2-Step Verification enabled on my account and tried again after I had removed it. Any idea what the issue may be?

Awesome! I have Pepco in Maryland and I’ll see if I can add support for them.

There’s been a big rollout of smart meters in the UK, with all the suppliers using compatible hardware (I think…). Trouble is, they don’t do much - all they can tell you is how much energy the household as a whole is using, nothing about individual appliances. You might as well read the meter once a week.

The government likes them because they make it look as if something is being done to conserve energy. Suppliers like them because they can fire a few clerical staff. There’s little benefit to the consumer and when something goes wrong it’s really difficult to make a case for a refund. :roll_eyes:

@tronikos Was very easy to add! I have a PR waiting for you with support for Pepco.

FYI, I pushed a new version that adds support for all Exelon subsidiaries. Send me a PR if something isn’t working.

@tronikos

I updated to the newest version but am still unable to login and complete setup. I have 2 accounts with BGE since I own 2 properties in their coverage area. Could this be the issue?

I also have multiple accounts but with PECO and am not able to complete the setup. Getting a Failed to connect error.

this looks really good, thanks.

it looks like it was merged to next, do you think it will be in 2023.8?

Yes it should be.

1 Like

this is AWESOME!!!

My integration is released in Home Assistant 2023.8, see Opower - Home Assistant

It currently supports:

• Evergy
  • Exelon subsidiaries
    • Atlantic City Electric
    • Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE)
    • Commonwealth Edison (ComEd)
    • Delmarva Power
    • PECO Energy Company (PECO)
    • Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco)
  • Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E)
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)

To add support for your own utility, add a bit of code in GitHub - tronikos/opower: A Python library for getting historical and forecasted usage/cost from utilities that use opower.com such as PG&E and send me a PR.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! How do we determine if our company uses Opower? I am on LADWP and SoCal Gas so not sure if they are using it but happy to help if I can determine it :slight_smile:

You can check the network tab of you browser developer tools for any network requests to opower.com while you check energy usage on your utility website.

2 Likes

thanks looks like im out of luck :frowning:

awesome!!! looks like ConEd uses opower :smiley:

tronikos this is really great work, thanks for building it!
Is there a way to rename the data feed entity? It’s not under the opower integration, just the sensors show up there. If I can’t rename the underlying entity, that’s fine, but I’d like to rename the display name that is exposed on the energy dashboard, which doesn’t seem possible at this time.

I am getting a failed to connect error. Is the error logged? If so, which log?

I don’t know of a way to rename statistics. They are shown in http://homeassistant.local:8123/developer-tools/statistics but it doesn’t seem you can rename them.

Logs are available in system > logs under Home Assistant core logs. It would help enabling debug logs for the integration under devices & services > Opower. There are a few open known issues check at Issues · home-assistant/core · GitHub so you are most likely encountering that.

There is already a PR for ConEd at Add implementation for conEdison by Sebmaster · Pull Request #13 · tronikos/opower · GitHub It will take a while since ConEd requires 2FA and the integration config flow needs to also be updated to handle it.

1 Like