Why does the HA calendar not follow iso standards?

According to international standard ISO 8601, Monday is the first day of the week.

In fact, it would be even greater to be able to customize the locale / regional format in details for each user.
It could/should follow the browser settings per default but we should be able to override it.

I live in France, I would like the UI in English US but the French locale for everything else (short / long date formats, short / long time formats, type of calendar, first day of week)

1 Like

Probably the developer is from one of these countries.

Monday is the first day of the week according to the international standard ISO 8601, but in the US, Canada, and Japan, it’s counted as the second day of the week.

Its up to the developer of the component what he chooses

Interesting article here on who considers what first day of week is. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-18/which-day-do-you-consider-the-start-of-the-week/11346348

I prefer Monday as the start of the week also. Week “end” springs to mind. Using Sunday I guess is traditional, but I always start on Monday myself

1 Like

Wrong. it would end up with inconsistency across the system. It should be configurable for the HA instance or for HA user and taken into account by all components where applicable

2 Likes

It would be nice for the option to switch between iso and ansi. Maybe in general config?

Try the English (GB) language in you Home Assistant profile, that will use the UK format instead of the American format.

We could probably link this to the language of the user, I would have to check if the library that we use for the calendar supports this.

1 Like

The library does support localization just have to make sure that our variables/names for them line up. I didn’t look much into it for the MVP of the calendar

1 Like

That’s already what I do but it does not help for the calendar or the history card with PM/AM.

In the documentation of the history card, the hours are in 24-format:

So I looked for my browser settings and saw I was in en-us in Firefox. I changed it for en-gb and it fixed the issue with the history card. It’s too inconsistent between native components.
Logbook: Based on HA profile settings?
History card: Based on browser settings?
Calendar: Based on hardcoded values?

Edit: I just saw that it’s now fixed thanks to your PR

Thank you!

Now back to the last issue, the calendar.

Just adding the GitHub issue for reference: