Why Home Assistant with Spy Services?

I keep seeing different integrations for things like Google Assistant, Alexa, and others, and it’s got me wondering. Doesn’t use of these systems kind of defeat the purpose of an open source privately designed platform? Why not just use their ecosystem? I don’t ask this to be provocative. I decided to look at Home Assistant and/or OpenHAB because I didn’t want Google, Amazon, or Apple spying on my life (it’s a pretty boring life, but it’s one I’d like to keep private).

Why are people integrating these systems into their Home Assistant design? Is there a way to use the positives of these systems (voice control being the only one I can think of) without compromising the privacy of a purpose-built system?

Just wonderin’ out loud.

1 Like

For me, I use Home Assistant for a number of reasons

1. To integrate multiple ecosystems.
  2. To have local control of devices rather than relying on internet services
  3. Ability to extend, enhance and design my interface, rather than having it designed for me (and having multiple disparate looking apps - see point 1).

The inclusion of voice assistants doesn’t prevent any of the above occurring, and having voice control some components is useful.

The beauty of HA is that by default you don’t use Amazon, Google or Apple voice services - but you can if you want. Flexibility is what people want, not being locked into a box.

1 Like

Probably could have done without the tinfoil hat commentary then :stuck_out_tongue:

I use HA because no services have powerful enough automation features. My spy devices provide the bulk of the work, HA picks up the slack due to limited features.

I primarily have Google Assistant integrated as the ‘friendly frontend’ for our lights, blinds and heating. Although Lovelace on the app is perfectly fine, many people in my home are just happier using something they recognise and that doesn’t confuse them with too many options. The Google Hub is perfect for this. And even the kids use voice control for the lights.

But of course if Google has issues then it’s no problem for my local setup; lights still work, heating still comes on, nothing breaks other than the Google control. And at the moment I’m happy enough for Google to have knowledge about my lights etc. I would say my data is at higher risk with smaller IOT companies rather than centralised through Google.

The number one reason I use home assistant is to make everything work together. I don’t want to be locked to one companies’ ecosystem. My cheap Xiaomi sensors works with cheap Ikea bulbs and Tado thermostat. My cheap Xiaomi or Ikea buttons can pre-heat or start charging my car and Logitech TV remote can control everything in my living room without blessing from Logitech.

For me, I want to control stuff using my voice, hansfree using the wake word. Google works the best so I use it. In that sense, I’m using the positives of the Google assistant.

To do so without compromising privacy is easy. My home motion sensors, automations are not exposed to Google. Only thing Google can learn from my exposed entities is that some lights/plugs are sometimes turned on.

As others have said, the reason I use HA is to have all my disparate systems and devices work together seamlessly. I have well over 200 devices and ~6 different systems/networks/technologies and they can all be controlled either by voice (Alexa), app/kiosk, or physical interaction (switches, remotes, etc).

As for the “spy services”, we are an Alexa household and to be fair, I have 90% of what Alexa can do blocked via firewall rules and pi-hole. Metrics reporting is blocked for Alexa, Google Assistant, Sonos, Android phones and Harmony hubs. Nearly all adverts are blocked as are known malicious websites and apps. In this sense, there really isn’t a lot that these services can gain from my household.

We don’t use voice for anything besides local home device control, the occasional news query, weather and music. So, in terms of spying, it’s a necessary evil, but it’s also an evil that can be mostly contained.

There is the possibility recently of using almond/Ada in HA but as far as I know it’s not “there” yet.

Amazon & Google are a lot more mature and usable right now.

And as has been said having the option to use it or not is a big positive.

If you are that worried about voice services I assume you don’t use credit cards, discount “rewards” cards, banks, cell phones, online shopping, email, the internet or any other similar services either? Every one of those services compromises your privacy to one degree or another.

everybody gives up a bit of privacy for every convenience in life. You just have to decide how much you’re willing to give up to get those conveniences. Everybody’s line is a bit different. Most people (especially here) try to do what they reasonably can to try to at least mitigate the risks but unless you are living like Ted Kaczynski (minus the bomb stuff of course :wink:) there’s always going to be a leak somewhere.

1 Like

If you’re worried about this, I certainly hope you don’t carry a cell phone…