Why is it so complex and difficult to install and maintain HomeAssistant?

JoFie,

YES your solution is the one I want :slight_smile:
Total control of all my infrastructure.

I’ll restart everything from scratch like you propose.
The main issue was that flashing Debian on my 1TB SSD was not working, and I was not able to event login in the system to correct the filesystem.

I’ll maybe try this first on a 64 GB SD card :slight_smile:

New challenge is coming

Kr,
Dom

I just started to watch videos of Andreas Spiess, it is just what I want :slight_smile:

I’m installing Raspbian on a SD card and will follow his advises, and install HA over it.

Everything is so clear, reproductible, automatically saved and re-installable without any loss.

This should be more associated with HA as it is perfectly complementary and done for old IT (and lazy) guys like us, never do twice the same thing, and be sure everything can be rebuild without useless effort.

OITstack is a real good foundation over which Home Assistant can be installed :slight_smile:

Again, thank you for this link Getting started - IOTstack (sensorsiot.github.io).

1 Like

What do you say is the advantage of iotstack over a supervised install?

IOTstack is just a set of tools/scripts/aids to help set up Docker and manage the container stack. It is not specifically targeted at Home Assistant, but because HA runs in containers as well, it fits nicely in the setup.

I’d say that if you’re only going to run HA and no other containers, then the added value is not all that much. But if you are running other containers, the usuals like Node-Red, Mosquitto etc., but also a whole bunch of others, you can simply select them from a menu and IOTstack will do all the Docker stuff for you.

That is essentially no different to the supervisor then. You can add mosquitto, node red and many others as addons.

1 Like

I ve not been able to flash Debian and boot my Raspberry from it.
While it was possible to do that with Raspbian.

What I appreciate in IOTStat is the way it makes it so simple. :wink:

Ehh… not sure if you’re talking about supervised install, or supervisor the HA component.
IOTstack is not an alternative to the HA Supervisor. As mentioned, it is functionality to help set up and manage containers on the OS side of things.

If you speak fluent Docker, and know your way around Linux well enough to do everything yourself then you don’t need IOTstack. You can still benefit from it though, because it does a lot of all that work for you.

Sure, add-ons inside HA are convenient and cover the needs of most of the users out there. For me the black-box-thing is not always the way to go.
I needed an Apache server, and wanted to share data with Node-Red. I only had to add the image and specify the volumes in the docker-compose (that IOTstack created for me at a time when I knew nothing about it), rebuild the stack and I was done. Same for e.g. the Mumble server I now added. Not even sure where to start to do that with add-ons.

More simple then HassOS ??
To me it is just some extra work…in order to achieve …what?? The same??

Why would i want to flash rapian or debian??

JoFie,

indeed IOTstat is just used to do all the job around HA.
And it allows me to have Supervisor add-on into my HA also :slight_smile:

I love all what concerns the backup, the simple re-installation, …
Why having to reinvent the wheel if someone already did it so simply ?

Which job around HA??.. for me that was zero…

Nope. Not the same. At all.
Can you install other containers (or do anything for that matter) with HassOS?
You have a locked down environment that is dedicated (read: limited) to the functionality that HA provides.

But if you don’t see the need, or the difference, then by all means be happy with your HassOS. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because of lack of simple and straight forward documentation :wink:

HA has been created by geeks, I’ve been part of this world also (not in HA) in a previous life ^^.

Here the simpliest the best.
All the roads are ending at Rome, some are … faster and shorter, others … are more pittoresque, it depends of what you want.

My part is direct to the point, direct to the essential and be able to use the tool for what is made for, not to having to loose time just to understand how to configure it :slight_smile:

Reason why IOTstat interrested me.

Iotstack sounds a lot more complicated than running the supervised script :joy:

It is not only if you are able to configure your hardware.

I have a RaspBee, not really easy to configure it while it is considered as the most compatible, … recommended dongle for ZigBee …

So many time lost just to add some hardware.

I would like to give all that precious time in creating scenes, algorithms, …
Till now, I’m still looking on how to connect and make ZigBee devices to communicate with my HA.

This part is really not user friendly, nor easy.

I understand (and agree) that stupid conventional applications discover and include your devices in less than 2 minutes, but, that you are really limited in what you can do.

I’ve Alexa at home, and it was really easy to start with.
Scenarios, … are, indeed, very lite, but … it works.

Here, trying to communicate with all these devices is a nightmare.
One requiring MQTT, the second NodeRed, the third some hardware specific drivers, …

I will succeed in, but one’s it will be done, I will have to scratch everything to be sure I can reinstall everything properly from scratch, certainly if I have to upgrade any part of that (hw and/or application/software).

Time is money, and this activity is really time consuming.
Documentation is so huge that it is simply unusable.

Kr,
Dom

At least all the modules you install are installed in a standard and unique way :wink:

Standard and unique :thinking:

According to who?

You can certainly install other containers. And with a supervised install.

I disagree

Well if you don’t have the ability to get debian to run on a rpi, maybe the problem is not with debian (or hassos).

Hmm…Zigbee is ‘just’ a com port;
however, since I’m running on HyperV, i don’t have usb; so i’m using ser2net…
Before i realized i could do that, i ran zigbee and mqtt on w10, now that was a hassle to configure.
When i learned that zigbee supports ser2net, i added zigbee and mqtt addon to HA, configured it, and what took me days to figure out how to do it (manually) in w10 took me mere 30 mins in HA…
Another plus, the addons and its config are now part of HA’s snapshots (and on top of that i also have snapshot’s from HyperV)
Meaning am back up and running in 10-15 minutes (what never happened to me (yet​:innocent::crossed_fingers:))

It was a known problem, but I had to mount the SSD on Linux system to correct the filesystem.

How do you “correct” a “filesystem”