Why is there no service call to set domain specific groups

You can create group entities using group.set, but there is no similar service for domain specific groups like light groups or switch groups.
Could be an optional setting in group.set where you can specify a domain

The technical answer is: They are not dynamic. (Regardless of the topic raised :wink:).

Here’s my use case: in my living room I have 4 separate fixtures with RGBW lighting. When I want to change the colors on them I have 2 options: do each light one by one or control all the lights together as part of a group. But sometimes I want to adjust 2 or 3 lights together. With the old-style groups and a bit of automation hackery I’m able to hold each light card to add it to the room group so I can control separate lights at the same time. But that’s not possible with the new style groups, and unfortunately some stuff does not work on old style groups, so I have to compromise.

I’m not sure why my thread " WTH isn’t there a service call to remove an entity from a group?" was closed and redirected to this one, that one has nothing to do with new style groups. I was asking why we have a group.set but not group.remove function call. If it’s added and works on new style groups that’s great too, but my thread wasn’t about that.

Sorry about that, I misunderstood. I’ve re-opened the other again. :pray:

1 Like