Why isn't Sensative Strip Appearing?

I had/have this exact same situation (except my Strips reports 254 - are you sure it was 255?) not only with this sensor, but with Fibaro FGK-101 as well. I got an answer from Sensative - thread also contains more information about when the value changes in my case.

Note that if you are using access_control, using the logic if 22 → open, else closed the “closed” rule also covers value 255 so the door might be open and HA shows it as closed. Same thing if you restart HA, you can’t know the door state before it is first opened/closed.

Sorry, it probably reported 254, just my mistake.

There could very well be an issue when HA restarts, I just haven’t seen it yet.

Hi !

@Tinkerer, what’s your method to switch your sensor to Binary ?

How do you do to set parameter form 112 to 0 ?

thank you !!

As you said, by setting parameter 112 to 0 :wink:

Two ways to do that, you can use the OZW control panel, or from within HA itself. From within HA you use the Services menu, select zwave and then set_config_parameter. Then you enter the following, changing the node ID from 99 to the ID of your own strip.

{
"node_id": 99,
"parameter": 112,
"value": 0,
"size": 1
}

Mine was only showing up in the dev-state menu as zwave.__3 and the zwcfg*.xml file in .homeassistant had an entry for node 3, but it was basically generic blank info. I woke the sensor quite a few times before it showed up correctly in the openzwave control panel. I switched it to binary sensor as described above and hit save. After several restarts and waking it several more times and verifying that it had been saved in openzwave control panel as a binary sensor, I replaced the info for node 3 in the .homeassistant/zwcfg*.xml file with the info for node 3 from the open-zwave-controlpanel/zwcfg*.xml file. My HA now includes 7 entries including the binary sensor I want to see, but…

Now the strip is blinking 5 times to indicate it’s not connecting. In openzwave control panel I no longer see anything in the log when I wake the sensor. I’ve put 7 hours into this and I’ve hit a point where I have no clue what to try next, lol! Node 2 is an Ecolink Garage Door Tilt sensor and it’s still working, fwiw.

When you added it using OZWCP, you wake it up until the Manufacturer name correctly shows up in OZWCP. That is when you are done. After you are done, you would need to either have a symbolic link linking the zwcfg*.xml file from the OpenZwave directory to the /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ directory or copy the file from the OZWCP directory to the /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ directory so that the file stays in sync between OpenZwave and HA and so that you don’t have to edit the file manually. You would then be able to rename devices to understandable names and locations in OpenZwave, click on Save stop OZWCP, start HA and then your names would show up…

1 Like

Thanks! For anyone finding this in the future… I had to remove the Strip from the Z stick, reset the strip, and add it again to the Z stick (all a couple times) along with copying that file but it’s all working now as node 5 instead of node 3. Once I got the manufacturer to display in openzwave control panel I did also switch it to a binary sensor and then hit save. Threads on this sensor sure make it look like the binary sensor setting in openzwave is easier to deal with. I had to wake the node 2 sensor because I somehow removed the info for it in the process. When both sensors showed up correctly I hit save and then copied that ozwcp*.xml file to /.homeassistant and everything is showing up in the front end and working properly.

Hi Veggie,

I installed my Sensative Strip a couple of days ago as well. It was not easy (had to reset it twice - and the strip reset method definitely does not work), but it is finally working.

I tried to switch to binary senor (within OZWCP) which again led to the Strip reporting faulty connection to the Zwave USB Stick. After a final reset, I left it to sensor (not binary sensor) and it is working without an issue.

For the others, the best way the include it or exclude it in OZWCP is to use the command of the stick and use the wake-up procedure from the strip immediately thereafter.

Mine only worked for a day and now the last couple days it only reports correctly intermittently and sometimes gives the 5 blinks. I thought Tinkerer was saying that using the drop down menu in OZWCP to change it to a binary sensor would be the same as set_config_parameter, but it looks like you’re saying I should start over and leave it as default settings in OZWCP, instead changing settings in HA.

Questions:

1. set_config_parameter looks like the best solution…
    set parameter 112 like Tinkerer above Why isn't Sensative Strip Appearing? ?
    or
    parameter 1 like larstobi here Door sensors change state by themselves ?

2. To clarify, does “use the command of the stick and use the wake-up procedure from the strip immediately thereafter” just mean remove the the zstick and long press two seconds to get the orange blinks in order to exclude and or tap in order to get the blue blinks for inclusion? (then obviously do the round magnet on top of round end three times to wake the Strip) or are you using OZWCP for that?

Hi,

There is no configuration parameter no. “112” as far as I can read in the manual. If you want binary_reporting, you should probably follow the instructions from the user manual, which specifies parameter no. 1.

To answer your 2nd question (the 5 blinks) indicate from reading the manual that there is a communications problem:

5 short: Error. ex. communication with controller failed

This could mean that there is no range. Have you placed the strip on a metal frame? Is it too far to the next mains powered z-wave device (acting as mesh repeater)?

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Update: Also, about the OZWCP vs HA configuration, I have had problems with the security key when switching between OZWCP and HA, so I prefer to do all my configuration from within HA. You mileage may vary.

Hello Veggie,

Sorry I am only seeing your message now. Hope you were able to solve your issues.

As regards your questions:

• It took me a while to include the sensative strip for the first time - i messed up the with first inclusion and got the 5 blinks (communication error). As the sensative strip method for resetting did not work for me, I had to remove the node from OZCWP with the wake-up procedure of the strip (works well).
  • Once it was up and running, I decided to put it under binary mode as suggested on this forum (and others). Unfortunately following this procedure the strip stopped responding and I got again the 5 blinks. Therefore I decided to exclude it once again, include it back and not touch anymore the configuration.
  • These devices are difficult to work with as they are generally asleep to preserve battery life - so changes in configuration are not visible immediately. It might pay off to wait a little longer after inclusion to see if the changes are reflected. This might have been my mistake.

At the time I had used OZCWP - currently it is possible to do configure the z-wave network directly from HA which is much easier. No need to revert back to OZCWP.

Thanks. It’s working now with the default strips setting and template sensor. I kept getting the 5 blinks until I moved the pi/zstick within 10 feet. But still kept getting a state change to on when rebooting and when it would wake the first time after a reboot while it was configured as a binary sensor, thus the switch to the template sensor. It’s an interior door with no metal in the door or frame. I don’t think the antennae is particularly strong in the strips.

I moved the pi back to the basement and added a zooz Z-Wave plug just 24 feet line of sight with nothing in the way and it still didn’t work reliably, but after moving that plug within 10 feet of the door it’s worked consistently. I’ve got two more to install and added a Z-wave light bulb near one of the doors to act as a repeater.

I’m struggling with the same problem, only when I replace the confit in the config file it just reverts to the original missing version. Any ideas?

What version number of HA are you running? As long as you’re running a relatively recent version you shouldn’t need to muck about with

I know… this should be simple…
I’m Running HASSBIAN 0.53.1

<Node id="3" name="" location="" basic="4" generic="7" specific="1" type="Notification Sensor" listening="false" frequentListening="false" beaming="true" routing="true" max_baud_rate="40000" version="4" query_stage="Probe">
	<Manufacturer id="0" name="">
		<Product type="0" id="0" name="" />
	</Manufacturer>
	<CommandClasses>
		<CommandClass id="32" name="COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC" version="1">
			<Instance index="1" />
			<Value type="byte" genre="basic" instance="1" index="0" label="Basic" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="0" />
		</CommandClass>
		<CommandClass id="132" name="COMMAND_CLASS_WAKE_UP" version="1" request_flags="2">
			<Instance index="1" />
			<Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="0" label="Wake-up Interval" units="Seconds" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="3600" />
		</CommandClass>
	</CommandClasses>
</Node>

That is as it is shown in the XML file…
Unfortunately I don’t even have a copy of OPZW Control Panel…
I have tried pushing Binary sensor parameters to it also…
Any ideas?
And to wake them up any ideas?

You don’t need the OZW control panel, there’s a Z-Wave control panel built into Home Assistant, look under Configuration. You can use that to change the settings directly.

Note though that battery powered devices need to be woken before they’ll receive any updates. See the manual for the strip for how to wake it, or wait up to 24 hours for it to wake itself.

Ok so I got it to show up correctly.
Repeatedly unpairing and pairing, and finally she has shown up :slight_smile:

Thank you for the fast response.
I think I am going to order another PI and install the AIO version as the hassbian version doesn’t seem to have many adopters yet and I’d like to see which I prefer to use :wink:

I will read the manual also and see about this wake function.

where do you find the battery level on the sensative strips? i have mine in basic mode. also what is binary_sensor.sensor for? it doesn’t appear to do anything.

It’s in the zwave. entity as an attribute

Because you have it in basic mode - enable binary reports (using the Z-Wave control panel - note that you’ll need to wake the sensor for it to change mode).

I know this is an old thread … I was able to successfully change it to a Binary Sensor and observe reports in OZW log, but that’s about it. Even after HA restart, I do not see a binary sensor entity created, still the old basic mode entities. Does anyone know what to do after getting this thing into Binary Mode?