Why must we use a USB drive to get development access?

I’m using HA in a VM that does not do USB pass thru. Why is using a USB drive and doing an import the only way to enable SSH over port 22222? It seems like it would be easy enough to allow an upload via the UI or some way to enable via the Terminal Shell.

Thank you for that!

I am following his directions to add his repository to my instance, and that seemed to work, at least it showed up in the list of repositories after I clicked the “Add” button. However, when I return to the add-on store, his repository (or any of it’s contents) show up. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I can go back into the ‘Add Repositories’ link and his repository is still in the list.

–Never mind – I ended up rebooting the HA server and then the repo appeared in the store.

New problem: The only thing that is showing up in the log related to this add-on after following the instructions is “Setup failed for SSHKey: Integration not found.”

It never gets to the point of telling me “it found i2c” even after multiple cold boots.

There are 3 add-ons in the repository. You don’t need the i2c one, but the ssh one.

configuration

Right, I did not load the i2c, but the directions for the port 22222 configurator say to watch for that in the log.

"Hit the start button and observe the logs. Perform 2 pull-the-plug reboots after running this. You may uninstall the Add-On when it tells you it found I2C. "

One other question, the directions say “Copy your public key into the configurator in a single line as such”, however, I’m not sure exactly what that means. I put the ssh key into the configuration.yaml and get errors in the log about not finding an integration. However, the directions “…into the configurator” actually sounds like I am supposed to put it into the add-on somehow.

You will not find an integration. Put your ssh key in the configuration section of the add-on.

I totally missed that at the top of the screen, thank you for pointing that out!