Why the heck are my Z-Wave devices sometimes unavailable after startup?

Recently, I have, on several occassions, experienced that (some of) my Z-Wave devices do not become available after a restart. No further amount of restarting (of HA or the Z-Wave network) fixes this condition. The only way back is either to restore a snapshot (duh!) or stop HA, replace the zwcfg_*.xml file by a backup of that file and then restart HA. I wish the Z-Wave integration would be more stable.

I was perfectly stable on 0.112.0. Upgraded to 0.113.4 and HA would hang after a couple hours. Restored back to 0.112.0, now I’ve having all sorts of issue including z-wave devices showing as undefined. replacing the zwcfg_*.xml file works sometimes but I’ve been stuck on Starting Z-Wave Network forever. Previously, it would take a few minutes to start.

Zwave is rock solid for me. Currently 20 devices and more ready to install. It generally takes about 6 minutes from a HA restart for all devices to be ‘ready’. Perhaps you need to look at your particular device settings.

Also, the WTH subforum is for feature request type post, hence the voting option. This should be listed under config / zwave

Yep, @khouse75, that is exactly my experience as well. Was working well - “rock solid” as @sparkydave says, until recently.

As I said in a comment to @khouse75, my zwave network/devices have been “rock solid” until recently and there have been no recent changes to the network/devices.

That being said, perhaps the new OpenZWave integration will resolve this. Let’s hope so. I plan to migrate soon.

Also, the WTH subforum is for feature request type post, hence the voting option. This should be listed under config / zwave

I re-read the blog post and still believe my WTH complaint - about the small annoyance of sometimes having trouble with ZWave when restarting HA - is within the scope of the WTH Month.

I could report it as a bug in the issue tracker, but since it happens only now and then I’m not sure how to report it properly and in addition it is only a small annoyance, so I took the liberty of venting when given the WTH Month opportunity.

The blog post FAQ further says:

“I really want this new integration to be implemented, so I can use my devices. Is this the right place for it?”

No, this event is not for requesting new device or services integrations. Please use the “Feature Requests” forum category instead.

I therefore beg to differ with respect to my post being inappropriate and the WTH Month to be a feature request forum

In case someone lands here looking for Z-Wave or OpenZWave integrations troubles:

My Z-Wave integration continued being unstable as reported above, so I decided to migrate to OpenZWave (Beta) following this guide. I had some trouble getting OpenZWave to work, but waiting it out seemed to solve the troubles.

However, I soon discovered that my OpenZWave integration became unresponsive. It seemed that Node 3 (a Namron Z-Wave dimmer) was flooding the Z-Wave network (log). Excluding the node and re-including it solved the problem - for a while. New flooding occurred after some time. Excluding the device, factory resetting it and re-including did not help. I then replaced it with a new dimmer of the same type and the OpenZWave integration and the Z-Wave network have been well-behaved since then.

It seems, therefore, that my Z-Wave network troubles were caused by a node that failed. The troubles started after a power failure in my neighbourhood, so I’m speculating that the power failure fried my dimmer (a bit), so that it flooded, and effectively jammed, the Z-Wave network while otherwise working well (local control was no problem).