Why the heck is a restart needed for each an every change to configuration.yaml?

mobile_app now registers the services right away without the need to restart

rest.notify, group.notify, telegram.notify may be finished by 0.115, but at this point there are other cleanup that need to happen so its unlikely.

8 Likes

Small requst while you are busy:

• reload python_script
  • reload mqtt configured in yaml

As @sparkydave says “That Works”
It has worked for about the last 14 months (for scripts and automations) so I’m not sure what you are talking about here.
I admit that the input_* helpers were added a lot more recently.
But as frenck says. the base is being moved towards allowing a lot more so restarts are required less and less

Edit: As @bdraco above proves in abundance !
:rofl:

It’s good to see that I was not alone in my WTH experience. But what’s really awesome is to see what’s getting done about it in just a few week’s time! Thanks @bdraco!

any chance for lights (incl light groups, mqtt lights) and switches (incl. mqtt switches)?

1 Like

Light groups were already done here

Draft for MQTT (may not make it in time for 0.115)

Others in progress

1 Like

@bdraco I just wanted to say you are amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

There are a few more in the works, however I’m not sure there will be time to get them reviewed before 0.115 beta:

group notify

rest notify

telegram notify

smtp notify

5 Likes

Another one based on @bdraco guide:

Unfortunately, the created test is failing, but I think that’s something related to RPi.GPIO library and not reload service.
It is tested and merged :muscle:

If I can make a wish for the future: the Alexa integration. It’s annoying having to restart just to change which entities that are exposed.

Sadly I don’t have anything amazon I’m using in production so I wouldn’t feel comfortable adding it. If you are up to it, you maybe able to reuse most of what I wrote for HomeKit here https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/39326

How about Google / cloud?

I’m in the HomeKit camp so no google devices either. If something is done for alexa, it could likely be reused for google_assistant as well.

1 Like

then my ryzen 9 3950x is megadeath

@bdraco I am impressed with your work, and the responsiveness to this thread!

6 Likes

Short request: Reload template sensors

Already done :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

“Award of Distinction for Correcting Long-standing Deficiencies” goes to bdraco.

Kudos for fixing pain points that have existed for far too long. :+1:

It might not be as sexy as a new Lovelace card but it’s the kind of fundamental improvement that make Home Assistant a much better product.

8 Likes

@bdraco you’re a god damn beast! Kudos to you! One question tho, do you sleep from time to time? :rofl:

Just question to @bdraco
How does reload work? Does it restart all entities of particular integration, all just those which settings have been changed.
In other words isit real reload or restart of oart of HA?

Regardless the answer thank you for amazing work