Why the heck is Settings so confusing to navigate?

Without fail, I still struggle every time looking for the logs. :joy:

4 Likes

TIL there’s a restartbutton up there.

With an ultrawide, you might not always be checking the far right corners, especially if it’s just a tiny thing like kebab menu

3 Likes

What about accessing the energy dashboard source settings?

settings → dashboard → energy

What is not logical about Settings → System → Logs ? (again I have not looked that up)

You are looking for logs of the system.

Google and I had a heck of a time finding “resources” menu (settings → dashboards → 3 dot) first time around after redesign. Location does make sense, but as others have stated, takes a bit of getting used to.

I’m pretty sure a magnifying glass could fit in the toolbar on any size screen.

Fwiw I think have an icon or button to launch the command pallette at the top of settings is a great idea. This was already done for dashboards after all. You to get to the entity search you can either type ‘e’ or click the magnifying glass at the top of any dashboard. Bringing the command pallette to settings in the same way makes sense to me.

Until it happens though I’m going to keep telling people the key to navigating the search menu is to type ‘c’ and then type what you want. Rather then trying to remember how to navigate to things.

1 Like

Did I say it wasn’t logical? I’m commenting on my experience, sorry of that doesn’t meet your high expectations…

3 Likes

Settle down, I wasn’t taking the piss. I am genuinely interested in where you think it should be if not there.

He didn’t say it was not logical.
Settings ‘menu’ is not readable enough and hard to ‘scan’ visually. There’s a lot of text, so even if you know exactly what you are looking for, it may take you at least a few seconds to see it.

I experience the same pain and understand this POV.
Not to mention that some commonly accessed places/settings might be just “too deep”.

PS The placement might be good enough, but the effort (‘scanning’, choosing, clicking, change of context) can be disproportionate.

2 Likes

Android and IOS had similar struggles as their settings grew - Android specifically would move things about all the time. I personally make use of the search bar at the top of both OS to navigate to the appropriate settings. I’ve also noticed over time they are improving their synonyms for what people actually search for compared to what the OS calls it. I know there is the command shortcut but that is only as good as your knowledge of that feature existing.
Everyone will have their view of where “logic” places a specific setting…

2 Likes

It’s really no difference from phone settings. I really don’t see the big deal here. Once you get used to it, it’s really easy to understand. It correlates with both andriod and iOS settings. 3 deep at most.

I do think the 3 dot menu should be removed and controls should be added at the top of the page. Being hidden in the 3 dot menu is pretty backward IMO. Options shouldn’t be hidden in a combo menu.

But it is not really only a mobile use-case. So at the end you end up with mobile-like navigation on desktop + a lot of unused space.
Also on mobile you typically don’t have that much description for each setting.

Believe it or not, but there must be a reason behind so many people voting for this WTH and complaining about similar things.
Frankly speaking, IMHO there’s no point in defending current solution. It should be rather looking for an opportunity for improvements / things that could be extended (examples above).

1 Like

I’m not defending it, I just don’t get “what the deal is”. It took me 5 minutes to pick it up. The menu items make sense. It even emulates windows or mac settings pages (Just shows as a list instead of icons), with the same amount of information. Similar amount of whitespace (in comparison to Windows)

And the options make sense. Lastly, if you can’t find something, you click the magnifying glass and type what you’re looking for.

The only area for improvement in my opinion is the 3 dot menu. The rest is worlds better than what it used to be.

Don’t take me wrong, but that’s kind of funny to me that the Windows was brought up by you as a good UX reference.

2 Likes

It’s a very good UX when you access a lot of information, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad. It’s extremely easy to find anything you need to adjust, which is the goal of settings. The only drawbacks are when you don’t know the name of something. But you’ll have those drawbacks on any system if you don’t know the name.

Please show me an example of a settings page you’d rather have on a system that breaks things up into categories.

1 Like

I did not say that the example is bad. Actually it is quite good indeed. I was just making a little bit of fun cause I personally just don’t like whole Windows look&feel.

Anyways. If you want to compare example provided above to HA settings, then you should notice additional links below each Settings section (on Windows). In HA settings you just have a lot of text “clouding” the menu itself with no “deeper links” at all.

The main menu item and each link goes to different pages. In comparison to he HA app, there is only 1 menu that has nested options that differ from the main category. Links could be added to remove the single link, but it’s not going to change the UI the way you think it is. It’s not a bad idea though. Unless you consider the tabs separate options. Either way, that’s a good WTH, and easily solvable IMO.

1 Like

Why is add-ons a separate menu item.
It would be more logical to move this to a separate tab in devices and services.

Is it a device, is it a service, or is it a link to a collection of addons?

Additionally there is already a WTH about the logic, or lack there of, in the settings menu, perhaps you would like me to merge this there?