Why the heck is Settings so confusing to navigate?

Not sure what I would want in this particular case. But if restart HA is the button, why restart the host is hidden under … menu? isn’t it inconsistent? What if it plays role in making people upset (even if they cannot describe the origin of this impression).

Platforms (ie OSes) have their own guidelines about how GUI should look, and how should it function. Is there something similar for HA GUI? I mean when to use a button, when to hide an option under a menu When to use a list of objects, when tiles (BTW another inconsistency IMO)

Bro, you just asked for restart to be hidden under a … menu. I explained why it was moved out. Stop arguing just to argue.

It wasn’t me. I was suggesting moving it back to dev tools as a button.

Restart is already a button in dev tools. Reboot was never a button in dev tools. You’re remembering incorrectly.

If you took the time to read my replies from before instead of cherry picking my responses to @baz123, you’d see that I want changes to that … menu as well. Because the … menu is confusing, and who naturally looks there?

Really! System information under repairs rather than under system :man_facepalming: (and yes I see you do agree)

And why does Spotify qualify for an entry?

Here are my suggestions for a consistent UI, I suggest there is a Restart & Reboot sub-menu at the top of the System menu, using this layout for the different types (core, HA OS, Supervisor).

If there is a requirement for a restart at the top level of the System menu (too many clicks to go to sub-menu), a block should be added at the top above the System menu for that.

Basically this but titled as “Restart Home Assistant Core”

But everyone is different, however, I do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find the right menu for the info or action I want. YMMV.

It’s obvious that you misunderstood my post.
My suggestion was to move the automations out of the settings menu because automations are not settings in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought you couldn’t find it, this phrase alludes to that

I never used that button because I wasn’t sure whether it restarted the host or the core, and I don’t want to restart my host unless I need to.

In the past, I restarted the core at /hassio/system but I haven’t been able to find that page since Settings were updated. I still access it with a button navigate action, but I worry that eventually it’ll go away. If that happens, I’d probably use a button with a service call to reload HomeAssistant core.

1 Like

Thought it was just me :laughing:

Settings → System → Hardware → 3 dots → Take your choice for Host.

For Core restart, on Dev Tools, YAML tab.

The RESTART button in the Dev Tools → YAML tab will restart just the core? It gives the same warning as the restart button in the general Settings window:
Which is true whether you’re restarting core or host so it isn’t very helpful :slight_smile:

Regarding the here mentioned c and e shortcuts it would be nice if the following issue could be fixed:

This would make it a lot smoother to use the shortcuts and would stop me accessing the settings most of the time.

It’s because that’s by design, when you click e the focus cycles through sidebar items that start with the letter e. Don’t know how useful that is.

Technically I know why it is this way. But UX wise this one sucks pretty hard. It break this whole access everywhere feeling of the e and c shortcuts. At first I was confused why the shortcuts didn’t work till I understood the technical background. From my point of view it renders these nice shortcuts a bit useless.

I get it, I’m just telling you why you aren’t getting bites on your issue.

Well not getting any response on the issue isn’t that nice either. In this case this is a real problem since it breaks UX and is the reason no one really uses these shortcuts. So from my definition of an issue this one is a big issue. (two functionalities interfere with each other)

ok, I don’t control that. Just informing you :wink:

Yeah sure. :grinning: Just wanted to inform in that thread that this issue exists and the issue could be the reason no one really uses and knows these commands. (which would make the settings accessible everywhere and without much hassle)

I disagree with @crazyfx1. Automations is the third option in the “Settings” menu. It is in the right place.

Following your line of thought, you can also add integrations or add-ons to the left menu. For me, automations are task settings for HomeAssistant. Currently, we set them from the settings menu, the most logical place for the Automation option. :slight_smile: The left menu in the main area should be reserved for home automation navigation (lights, heating, security, maps, energy, climate etc). It should be reserved for links to the appropriate HomeAssistant desktops.

Alternatively, you can consider the option of adding an additional menu (menu for the administrator), to which he can add shortcuts to the places in the system that interest him the most.

Ok, I tried to do some Photoshop. Please, this is just my brain fart. This could be just a thought for an even better mockup or idea.

To continue improving I would like to suggest the following changes:

System > Hardware
System > Information

System > Repairs > System information
System > Information - Collapsable Information item

System > Repairs > Integration startup time
System > Information > Integration startup times

System > Hardware > All hardware
System > Information - Collapsable Hardware item

System > Storage
System > Backups
System > Backup and Storage (with two tabs)

That’s all what I can think of for now.

8 Likes

System > Storage
System > Backups
System > Backup and Storage (with two tabs)

That will not really work, since all HA installations have the backup part, but not the storage part (HA Core does not have access to that). Having a menu option list something that is then not actually inside, is confusing and a downgrade IMHO.

1 Like